Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened to Integrity of Public Officials?

@CalminHeart wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

A very smart man I knew once clarified how political parties endorse certain people .....

I was complaining about a certain candidate and "how could this possibly be the best and brightest this party has to offer?" ..... and he told me that no party thinks in terms of who is their "best and brightest" ....  they think in terms of "who can we get elected?"

I couldn't dispute that.

....and that's why I haven't voted in over 30 years.  

No one has deserved my precious vote. 

Please reconsider voting.  It's YOUR right and YOU are the only one who loses when you don't vote.   You can't complain if you don't vote.

@CalminHeart

I don't complain.

It doesn't make a single bit of difference who's sitting in that chair.  

The outcome will always be the same,

I will still exercise my voting right for the next 30 yrs exactly like the last 30 yrs.

Thank you for your concern, though. 😊

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

A very smart man I knew once clarified how political parties endorse certain people .....

I was complaining about a certain candidate and "how could this possibly be the best and brightest this party has to offer?" ..... and he told me that no party thinks in terms of who is their "best and brightest" ....  they think in terms of "who can we get elected?"

I couldn't dispute that.

NOT surprised.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I couldn't dispute that.

@sidsmom  Have you ever thought to use that precious vote to vote against someone? 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I couldn't dispute that.

@sidsmom  Have you ever thought to use that precious vote to vote against someone? 

@IamMrsG

Nope.  Everyone's the same.

I don't vote for the "Best of the Bad Bunch".

"Never apologize for having high standards.  

People who want to be in your life will rise up to meet them."

This is your signature tagline.  I love it.  I relate to it, but I AM curious how you interpret given your above response to me.   

I would suggest everyone memorize this the phrase, repeat it every day & and never, ever settle for 2nd best.  

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I couldn't dispute that.

@IamMrsG

This is your signature tagline.  I love it.  I relate to it, but I AM curious how you interpret given your above response to me.   

I would suggest everyone memorize this the phrase, repeat it every day & and never, ever settle for 2nd best.  

You say, "...never,ever settle for 2nd best," but by not voting--either for or against a candidate--what are you settling for?   This is neither standing up for nor against anything.  Apathy is not a high standard.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I couldn't dispute that.

@IamMrsG

You say, "...never,ever settle for 2nd best," but by not voting--either for or against a candidate--what are you settling for?   This is neither standing up for nor against anything.  Apathy is not a high standard.

Indifference IS a standard.  

One might not see it through 'politically tinted' glasses, but it's there.  

Voting for someone 'just cuz', is never good.  

Doing that just dumbs down the process and the value of my precious vote.

There's so much time, money & angst over a process/product which will have the same outcome...today, tomorrow & until something drastic changes, probably a zillion years from now.

Every four years, it's the same dance.  

Until a better product is presented, I'm not buying. 

Again, thank you for your concern.

Good Evening.

Honored Contributor

Hi @sidsmom

How have you been?

It occurs to me that another way to look at this is: If you did vote, it is one step closer to getting a better person/procedure/method in place than not taking part at all.  Then, over time, with any luck and with others who feel the same, there will be improvements.

Just another way to consider the situation.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I see no one has yet quoted Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

“The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet.” — Mark Twain in Eruption

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my million part time jobs when I was in grad school in NYC was at the old movie magazine Photoplay.  It had been around a long time ("photoplay" was the early term for a silent movie).  I was a temp there while they were frantically trying to revive it.

So they commissioned me to write a trivia booklet using their files. It was going to be a free premium for people who renewed a subscription but the magazine folded before the booklet got to press. 

Nobody ever went near those old paper files:  that mag worked by phoned in stories.

It was an eye-opener.  Photoplay kept files on everyone--just like Hoover's FBI.  They had the real testimony in the Fatty Arbuckle case, the goods on Clara Bow and the USC football team, etc.  A long folder on Richard Nixon,  The wildest celebrities (openly wild, that is) lived in the 1920s, the silent movie era, from the evidence of those files.  The studio system that grew up around the "talkies" in the 1930s sanitized the stars--changed their names and often falsified their sexual preferences--and hired publicists to promote them and sell them as role models.  (A few were: Marlene Dietrich was staunchly anti-Hitler from the earliest days of his political career.)

Photoplay was in the gossip business and collected gossip on all political and celebrity figures.  Most of it was unpublishable because it was libellous, and probably a majority of the material was malicious and/or untrue.

Nonetheless, public officials and celebrities (I learned from reading through those files) are just people.  People make a lot of mistakes, and people have a lot of flaws.  Moreover, people in the public eye seldom tell the whole truth and nothing but.

A person in the public eye is just like anyone else--except there are telephoto lenses following them everywhere.  They do try to cover up anything shady.  They do reinvent themselves. 

It's not modern times so much as human nature.

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I couldn't dispute that.

@IamMrsG

ITA! INDIFFERENCE isn't either.