Frequent Contributor

Re: What you must know about the GMO salmon

I dont ear anything gmo
Respected Contributor

I'm not scientifically endowed so does this include QVC salmon?  Should we stop buying?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I'm not scientifically endowed so does this include QVC salmon?  Should we stop buying?

@luvmybeetle @No. this new salmon is only coming from one Canadian company. QVC has not been selling this YET. Grocery stores will have to tell you if their salmon is GMO but restaurants do not. I don't know how QVC will fit into this in the future, but I think Q will avoid having their customers be up in arms for now.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@luvmybeetle @No. this new salmon is only coming from one Canadian company. QVC has not been selling this YET. Grocery stores will have to tell you if their salmon is GMO but restaurants do not. I don't know how QVC will fit into this in the future, but I think Q will avoid having their customers be up in arms for now.

Thank you.  I have the salmon on auto-ship.

Honored Contributor

There's new labeling laws. GMO foods will say genetically engineered. 

"The GMO labeling law is directed at grocery products. Food sold by restaurants, food trucks, delicatessens, or served by airlines are not required to carry bioengineered food labels even if the items are produced with GMOs. Meat, poultry, and egg products are not covered by the labeling law."

Honored Contributor

There's new labeling laws. GMO foods will say genetically engineered or bio engineered. There are new labels. I think the law allow for makers to comply by 2022. 

"The GMO labeling law is directed at grocery products. Food sold by restaurants, food trucks, delicatessens, or served by airlines are not required to carry bioengineered food labels even if the items are produced with GMOs. Meat, poultry, and egg products are not covered by the labeling law."

My apology. I'm looking back for this source and I'll add it as soon as I find it.

Honored Contributor

@KLm wrote:

I am going to assume any salmon sold in a restaurant is modified. This is just unacceptable. Period. What next? A dogcat?

@KLm @Don't assume this. Restaurants don't have to tell you but they can tell you and probably will tell you if they aren't using this. This is brand new. it's not in many places yet.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

All I need to know is don't eat it!  

@mspatmac    Why?  Breeders of animals have long interbred species to improve the quality of the food we eat. How is that going to hurt you? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

All I need to know is don't eat it!  

@mspatmac    Why?  Breeders of animals have long interbred species to improve the quality of the food we eat. How is that going to hurt you? 

@Kachina624 I don't know yet but if it's so wonderful why are they going to such great lengths to make sure they are contained and not escape. And until I know more I'm not eating it.  Wild cought or nothing.  JMHO

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D I will occasionally eat salmon in restaurants, but not once has it been identified. I hope you are right and some tell us. For now I will avoid it. Thanks for all your helpful info