Valued Contributor

Re: What year and make was your first car? Did you love it or not?

1971 VW Bug, and I learned to drive in that car

My mother said if I could drive that beast, I could drive anything and therefore I would never be stranded in any situation.

She was right (she always was)!!!

6 months later she put me into a Toyota hatchback, also a stick shift, and she drove the VW. She was a wise woman!!!
Honored Contributor

1963 Dodge dart. 3 speed on the column. Bright fire engine red inside and outside. HS graduation gift from my grandparents. I wasn't crazy about that car in particular but I was crazy happy to actually have a car.I drove it for about 5 years. It ran great, sold it to my nephew who immediately painted it black,and he drove it about another 3 years.By then it was 11 years old and died of old age.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first car was a 1972 Plymouth Gold Duster (brown/gold). My folks bought it used for a $1000 for me in Dec. '76 when I turned 16. I drove that car until 1987! I bought myself an '86 Mercury Cougar (white) in '87 and drove it for 10 years!

Edited to say- "yes! I loved both cars!"

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

My first car was a '77 BLACK T-bird! Ooh, yeah. 

5761a.jpg

Yorkie, DH and I purchased a new silver T-bird in 1978.  We loved that car.  Heart  My brother told me when we decided to trade to call him; he said he would buy it.  Well, after 12 plus years we decided to trade and called him re. our decision.  He immediately went to the dealer and bought it.  I think he loved it as much as we did and drove it for many more years.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure of the year (76 maybe) Pontiac Sunbird.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Got my hardship at 15 in Jan. 1976 and my first car was a 1966 Olds 88 with the ignition in the dashboard.  It only lasted a few months then Mom upgraded me to and 1970 .Olds 98.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

A '59 Chevy convertible, brand new, blue exterior, white interior . . . with the "wings" in the back, whitewall tires.  I felt like a princess.  My beloved sister and I had a ball in that car!!  Paid for it myself too.

Did it look like this?  I love old cars.

imagesU4L3AQ01.jpg

Respected Contributor

'69 Camaro.  It was my husband's car when we got married in '73 so it was mine to use.  It was a light car and had an 8 cylinder engine--that car was fast!  We had an 8 track cassette player installed--so cool!!   It was impractical, though.  It was a 2 door and the back seat was tiny, the trunk was small. 

Did I love it?  No.   Can't say I loved any car.  They are just transportation to me.

Super Contributor

My first car was a 1969 Chevy Malibu sport coupe.  Did I love it, not really although it was really cool looking.

My all time favorite car was my new 1978 Datsun 200SX.  LOVED that car. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

il_570xN.607238285_qasq.jpg

1979 Cadillac. Yes, I loved it and still drive Cadillacs to this day.