Respected Contributor

Re: What year and make was your first car? Did you love it or not?

@hckynutjohn wrote:

A 302 in a Maverick?  Very few of those beasts around in my area. Not sure Ford made that many of them. That engine in a small car? To me that says racing.

Don Nicholson did however race a Maverick with a 427 cu.in., talk about flying in the 1320' ?

My Dad was a gearhead, engine builder and dirt track racer. We could hear him coming before we saw him. Now, I drive a 340 '74 Challenger....it's fun to drive too Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

1983 AMC Spirit hatchback, louvers on the hatch window, pale yellow with brown racing stripes, cream interior.  I was in college and I made payments.  When I got it, it was two years old.  It was a sort of sporty car at that time.  It got me back and forth from AZ to California a few times.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

1984 Toyota corolla.  Loved it.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

1950 Merc small.jpg

My 1950 Merc in 1954 at a friends house, a welll to do friend!

The car was a 1947 Chevy 4 door sedan. Stick shift, which was a vacuum shift, worst of the worst for shifting. Had the feeling resebling putting a stick in thick mud and moving it. Hard to tell if moving it actually changed gears or not. Was 1 headache after another will me footing the bills.

John  -

I'm pretty sure this is why everyone was so happy to see Chevy introduce "Power Glide" transmissions.

My husband said he had a '51 or '52 Packard that had the same vacuum assist, so in order to get that puppy going he would place it in neutral, step on the gas to rev it up, then push in that darn old power assist clutch as well.  He didn't keep this car very long.  His next one was a big Olds.  He still talks about that car.

~Rebecca

Respected Contributor

Like it?  Well, I named it "Lurch".  It was a well earned name.  Dang transmission was never right and at times about threw you through the windshield.  That lovely moniker belonged to a 1976 Ford Maverik.  I inherited it from my grandmother in about 1982 or 83.  Literally, it was driven to church on Sunday's by a little old lady from Kalamazoo.  

Horrible car and never went near a Ford again.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought my first car in 1976 and it was a 1956 Chevy Bel Air 4 door, 3 speed on the column. 

It had never been "restored" and had seen it's better days.....a long time before I bought it, LOL

smileys-waving-170093.gif Waving hi to @Bella Carro

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first car was a used 1969 Cougar and yes I loved it. But sadly it ended up being demolished by a drunk who hit and ran me at a red light. How do I know he was drunk? After he hit my car, he staggered out of his car and I got out of my car to exchange information and he got back in his car and hit my car again and left! I was not injured, but I went into shock and had to go to the hospital. To this day I cannot hack drunks.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

My first car was a off white mini cooper from 2012 that my husband and I got in 2013. We loved that mini!!!  We have an SUV now.

I plan to get another mini for myself in the near future probably in the same color. I love white cars.

~Live with Intention~
Contributor

A 1959 MGB (an English sportscar- the Miata looks like it).  I got it instead of a engagement ring  My husband totalled it in 1961.  Do you think I should have gotten an engagement ring instead? lol

Loved that car.  The next was a TR3  (yellow). Loved this one too.

Oddly enough my husband had a brand new Miata when he died.  Life is a full circle......

Trusted Contributor

What year and make was your first car? Did you love it or not?

Thank you everyone for your great stories. Some made me really laugh. Memories are priceless!