Honored Contributor

Re: What year and make was your first car? Did you love it or not?

@Winkk wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

A '59 Chevy convertible, brand new, blue exterior, white interior . . . with the "wings" in the back, whitewall tires.  I felt like a princess.  My beloved sister and I had a ball in that car!!  Paid for it myself too.

Did it look like this?  I love old cars.

imagesU4L3AQ01.jpg

Yep!  Exactly.  Except the blue was a bit more turquoisy. 

All the car brands looked different in those days.  It was easy to tell a Ford from a Chevy, and an Olds from a Buick, a Caddy from a Lincoln.  Nowadays they all look the same.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

1970 Ford Maverick Candy Apple Red and yes I loved it.
Honored Contributor

I'm really enjoying reading this thread.  Heart  Glad to see no one (so far) has had a Model T as their first car.  ROFL.  Smiley LOL

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

1963 white Oldsmobile '88. I had to sit on a pillow to see over the steering wheel and yes I loved it!
Super Contributor

1979 Chevy Capris Classic with Landu roof.  My parents surprized me with a brand new car for my 20th birthday.  Loved it! It was rust colored with a cream roof.  Oh my, did I make an enterance the first time I drive it to the local hang out (Village Inn Pub).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix  It was long and black and sleek. 

It used to be jealous of other cars.  Each time I'd point out a nice car while driving on the freeway the sun visor would plop down and try to cover my field of vision!

p.s.  It was not a new car and no one bought it for me.

1962 Pontiac Grand Prix

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

1971 VW Karmann Ghia convertible, brand new, for my 16th birthday.  It was orange with a brown top!  My parents had brought home a red Fiat for me to look at, but they decided on the KG.  I hated it!!!  If it had been a different color, maybe I would have liked it.  Being grateful just to have a car never entered my mind - it was simply awful.  After a year, they gave me a 1972 Triumph 2000 GTV - navy blue with baby blue interior.  Much better ...

Given I brand new car and then 1 a year newer?  And you say "you  hated it"?  I am gonna break from my usual "tell it like it is" on this one.  Might say what i really mean and get shown the door by a mod. There is a word for what you have said here, but!!!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I also had a 74 red corvette, .....   a

73 Triumph GT 6 Plus..

and in between van, other vehicles but my baby now is and hubby drives a Taurus..  funny how our tastes in rides stays classy over the years..  I love everyone's pictures by the way and thanks..   

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

In my world parents did not buy cars for children. I bought my first car 1950 Chevy for $30,hey it ran,got me to work,beat walking.

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

In my world parents did not buy cars for children. I bought my first car 1950 Chevy for $30,hey it ran,got me to work,beat walking.

Not in my world either. If I wanted something? I paid for it. Never had a $30 car. I was always into nice looking cars old and new.

My race cars?  Had to be spotless and I even wiped the dust off of them at the tracks I raced.

hckynut(john)