Honored Contributor

Re: What would you have done?

This has happened to you several times over the last few years, and I think it’s because you are seen frequently in the same location looking for recyclables, and people have just assumed you do it out of need.  

Obviously you are quite a fixture in your area, since people are dropping off bags at your house too.   

I think you should buy a sweatshirt or hoodie to wear that shows support for recycling, along with something to hang on your cart that also shows why you do what you do.  

Peoples hearts are open to giving this time of year, and the kind person who gave you $6 walked away feeling good with what she’d done.   Follow her kindness with your own good deed by donating the money to the Salvation Army or your local animal shelter.   

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 you probably made her happy. I think it's nice to say that you aren't looking for money, but graciously accept it if a person insists.

Trusted Contributor

I would not have prssed the issue.  I would have accepted the gfit she gave and put it in a Salvation Army kettle.