Honored Contributor

Re: What would you have done? (puppy situation)

Your friend should have told her son to retrieve the dog and board him until he could find him a home. Your friend knew and her son knew what sort of people they are, leaving the dog chained out all night, and should have expected just what happened.

The dog will be put down, if he hasn't been already.

There aren't that many places they could have left the dog. The OP's friend should call them, tell them what happened and, hopefully pick him up before it's too late.

Then she should report these people to the police.

Esteemed Contributor

Stay out of it!!!!  They are all adults;  they created the situation, they need to resolve it.

I will say that those who left the puppy alone are idiots!!!!  As for taking him to a shelter, and saying he bit a child........that just speaks to the lack of decency in them.  

I do hope the pup finds a loving forever home!!!

Respected Contributor

With so many rescues and shelters there is no reason to pay $350 for a dog.  This isn't the dog's fault, it's the family's fault.  I'm hoping that the dog hasn't been put down since they lied and said it bit children.  Hoping it will find a forever family who knows how to take care of a puppy.  Classic example of people who shouldn't have a dog or any pet.     

Honored Contributor

@SahmIamI don't understand the question. 

Are you asking what you should do? 

Or are you asking what *I* would do?

Or are you asking what *I* would have done if I were the son?

Either way it's not my call, nor yours.

The best he can do is find out the shelter and let them know what happened.

IMO??  The son was not a licensed person to be selling the puppy.  Most reputable breeders/sellers will take the time to know the buyer-the puppy deserves it.

In fact, the breeder also dropped the ball by allowing the puppy to be taken by a secondary person without really knowing the environment in which the puppy would be placed.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

Stay out of it!!!!  They are all adults;  they created the situation, they need to resolve it.

I will say that those who left the puppy alone are idiots!!!!  As for taking him to a shelter, and saying he bit a child........that just speaks to the lack of decency in them.  

I do hope the pup finds a loving forever home!!!

I would never "stay out of it", this pup's life is at stake.

If they're this kind of person, they will do NOTHING "to resolve it", in their warped mind they HAVE "resolved THEIR problem" with the pup.

I would do everything I could to find the pup and pull him out of the shelter, before he's put down, through NO fault of his own.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

The title of the thread asks what would you have done. My question is - in whose place?

First, I would never be engaged for 8 years. Second, if I was going to marry into this family after seeing how they treat a dog, I would end the engagement unless the girl is willing to walk away from her family, which she probably won't be and she was raised by that family, so I might expect the same behavior from her. Interesting that it seems the problem was with her family and there was not much said about the girl and how she feels about this.

The son of the good friend seems like a nice man, although he doesn't seem to know how to set boundaries or say no, which is not good, either.

I guess that all the good friend can do is be loving to his son, but at 29, he is going to do what he wants. I hope they break the engagement - this marriage will result be never-ending demands from the girl's family, to which the son doesn't seem to be able to stop.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIamThe main thing that I would do is to notify animal control about the situation and that the people lied.  I would even print out your post for them.   Other than that, stay away from people like that.  What an unfortunate situation, but most important is to save this dog.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have no advice to give, but, I am so glad I don't have any friends ,who act like this. If I did, I would drop them. People who mistreat animals ,are not anyone I want to befriend

Honored Contributor

Sometimes it's costly to learn a lesson. First off I wouldn't want to be engaged to a woman with family like this, you marry someone, you marry the family. Secondly the one I feel sorry for in this whole situation is the puppy. None of this is his fault, he was placed with a family that doesn't know the first thing about caring for him. I do hope the puppy finds a good home, he deserves it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I would love to comment on several points in your post @SahmIam  but I would not only be banned from Q, I'd be banned from the entire Internet.

@Marp 

Loved this response!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett