Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I wonder if she was homeless or hungry - and possibly mentally ill.

I would have accepted the new order and let it go.

Actually, the kind thing to do (and I'm not saying I would have done it either) would have been to follow her out and ask if she'd let me buy her lunch.

No , the lady  did leave with a different lunch bag . She rummaged through my order and another  bigger bag that must have been hers. She was a very well dressed lady  with alot of  gold jewelry .

Honored Contributor

I'm sure her bag had her name on it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm sure her bag had her name on it.

Neither lunch bag had the  order tag tapped to it . No names on the bags .

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I’ve complained often about the man that works for Panera standing in front of the counter breathing on my food.  I did this even before Covid!

I also contacted corporate and never heard back.

The manager where I go suggested I get the food ‘to go’.  That’s what I do now, so does my friend even though we eat inside.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people are rude and think the world revolves around them!

I think the OP handled it right.  I’m a person that says something.  I’d want someone looking out for me and my food.

It is because people are so timid and don’t want to get involved that people like this woman get away with things like that.

I’ve said things before. I mentioned here about the woman who parked in the wheelchair parking space when there were other spaces right in th

e front!

I’m fully aware that people are nuts today and might pull out a knife or gun.  I don’t know where it would be hidden ( in her underwear).

I refuse to let these idiots run the world.  Ignoring them lets them get away with it.  

The least ads that could be done would be to go to the manager and tell him what happened.  That way it’s in his wheel house to tell the people who prepare the food to make another meal.

Possible violence aside, this reminds me of a recent news article where a man who looked to be in his 30's was parked in a handicap parking space at a store when an older woman came up to his car to berate him for for parking in that space, while there are many people like her that need it and are entitled to it.

The man then got out of his car and he was a double amputee, he said to the woman, "Is this handicapped enough for ya'?"

Things aren't always what they seem......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

That "lady" was not looking for her order, she was going to steal something she liked, evidently both bags did not have any food she liked, so she left.

I would have called her out but thats just me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor
I order ahead at Panera several times a week. The takeout orders are bagged with a seal and clearly labeled. I’ve never once thought my bag looked tampered with. If it did, I’d ask for it to be remade.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I’ve complained often about the man that works for Panera standing in front of the counter breathing on my food.  I did this even before Covid!

I also contacted corporate and never heard back.

The manager where I go suggested I get the food ‘to go’.  That’s what I do now, so does my friend even though we eat inside.

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people are rude and think the world revolves around them!

I think the OP handled it right.  I’m a person that says something.  I’d want someone looking out for me and my food.

It is because people are so timid and don’t want to get involved that people like this woman get away with things like that.

I’ve said things before.  I mentioned here about the woman who parked in the wheelchair parking space when there were other spaces right in the front!

I’m fully aware that people are nuts today and might pull out a knife or gun.  I don’t know where it would be hidden ( in her underwear).

I refuse to let these idiots run the world.  Ignoring them lets them get away with it.  

The least ads that could be done would be to go to the manager and tell him what happened.  That way it’s in his wheel house to tell the people who prepare the food to make another meal.

Possible violence aside, this reminds me of a recent news article where a man who looked to be in his 30's was parked in a handicap parking space at a store when an older woman came up to his car to berate him for for parking in that space, while there are many people like her that need it and are entitled to it.

The man then got out of his car and he was a double amputee, he said to the woman, "Is this handicapped enough for ya'?"

Things aren't always what they seem......

What happened  at Panera was exactly as it seemed. This lady was well dressed  wearing  very nice gold jewelry . She  apparently was not going to wait fro the Panera staff to  be at the  food pick up counter to  identify her   to go food order . This lady  apparently  felt  she had the authority to dig through the to go bags on the counter  and did not give a rip abt covid 19  precautions or  plain old  health dept rules of restaurants . The lady was arrogant. No mistake on my part of what was really happening .

Honored Contributor

I dont think she was homeless at all---more than likely used the phone APP to place her to go order, and was tired of waiting for it.......She was totally RUDE and her actions were INEXCUSABLE....She should have asked an employee about her order instead of rummaging through all bags..... @skatting44  Glad you took action and contacted Panera and advised them what happened....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Good lord.

Honored Contributor

I like Panera's food but even before the pandemic had cut back on going, as they often seemed understaffed, often with only one person at the ordering desk and, as noted, clearly lacking visibility at the pick up area, for those picking up food. I tried to place a take out order with them recently but when the phone number listed on a placard in front of the store led to a recording that they were no longer taking orders at that number and a call to the regular store number went unanswered, I decided they didn't need my business. At a time when food service is struggling it seems maybe their management needs to step it up.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...