Honored Contributor

Do  not answer her calls. Problem solved. Why worry about such a thing.  Move on.

Honored Contributor
Sounds dangerous to me... she just built a new house and they had a special place to mount the phone while using the shower installed so it doesn’t get wet....also one by the bathtub...very typical of my daughter...she is quite the diva....seems to me the moisture would be bad for the phone but she gets a new one every other month😉
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@software 

No, it’s not worth losing a friend, especially since we were estranged for a couple of years and several months ago she sent me a friend request on FB and we have both been so glad to be reunited.  She is the lifelong friend (70+ years) I have mentioned before.  She had an almost lethal stroke in August 2017, but seems to have fully recuperated since then.  So it’s complicated, as they say.  This constantly having to move around could be related to that.

@LilacTree...is this the friend you were in the car with and she referenced someone offensively? I remember how difficult it was for you to walk away from such a long friendship. Life can certainly be full of twists and turns.

Spoiler

@Trinity11 

yes,she is that friend.  However, I was on the phone with her, not in the same car.  We have never brought that up since our reconciliation, but she does constantly reinforce that she never lies and I just let it go.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I have a friend that does that too.  Plus I never know if her kids or husband have entered the room.  I don't call often, I wait until I see her.  I think in your case where you have trouble hearing some of the conversation, I'd say something about it.  Don't mince words.  If your friend is not willing to sit for fifteen minutes to talk, you have to ask yourself if she's really a friend.  I think a friend should be able to understand the hearing situation and adjust.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

What would I do?

I would enjoy that first minute of conversation before she gets antsy. As soon as she gets up to "multitask" (for whatever reason), I'd ask her if she could please sit down again for another minute or longer so you can hear her. If she keeps getting up and you can't hear her, I'd say, "I can't hear you, so I'll talk to you later." And I'd end the call.

What kind of friendship is this if it's one-sided? Eventually, you will avoid her calls altogether and you will maybe resent that she is not considering your frustration.

To preserve the friendship, I'd keep the calls short (it's up to her how short). One minute every day might need to be enough to say hi and catch up on anything exciting happening in your lives. Talk fast. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Just simply be honest.

Honored Contributor
Spoiler

@MsLomo 

LOL . . . “Talk fast” . . . That struck me funny, I laughed out loud!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

Smiley Very Happy Oh, good!

Honored Contributor

OP---tell her !!! I have a friend who calls me while she is driving who lives in AZ and while her phone is connected to her car , I can still tell she is distracted and I tell her that I would prefer to talk when she is not moving------she doesn't take offense. would be the most horribe thing if she were to crash while talking to me------just tell her !!!!

Honored Contributor

Sorry you cannot hear your friend when you talk to her. It would be easier if she did not have the background noise or hubby talking.

She could go in another room of the house while you talk so it's quiet.

All I can say is cell phones & cordless phones omit radiation.

You are suppose to use the speakerphone feature or a headset.

I only use my home or cell phones using the speaker.

I talk to my sister which is also on speaker talking for 1-2 hrs with no problems. She's generally in the car picking up grand kids or dropping them off some place or other errands. I'm walking or exercising or cleaning house while talking to her.