Esteemed Contributor

Was at Panera today  around 2pm  While waiting on my order to be called , a lady customer came up to the counter  where you pick up your food and  grabbed  a bag full of food .  None of the food service staff were  facing  the counter  where they  place the finished food orders.  None of the staff had  announced a food order  while I was standing there  waiting on my order  . This other customer started rummaging through the bag they grabbed  and then put it back on the shelf  as it apparently was not her order  . I was appalled .  I said to her that I hadn't heard them call any  of the order numbers.  She ignored me  .She then grabbed another bag  when they put it on the counter and  rummaged through the bag  rhen walked out. I  asked the Panera employee  abt my order #  and he pointed to the bag that other lady rummaged her hand all in the bag over everything . I told the Panera staff abt what the lady did and he said he needed to make me a new one as no other customer is supposed to handle someone elses food.

Honored Contributor

I'd probably say, "Forget it", and LEAVE

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

That is so bizarre.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I asked them to refund my money.  That is so nasty! I'm sorry, that must have been quite appalling. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44    You did the only thing you could do.  It would have been unwise to have further confronted the nut case.  You might have called out to one of the employees and pointed out what was going on. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I probably would have done the same as you, if not asked for a full refund and talked to a manager. That sounds disgusting and I would be very angry if that happened to my order. It's an unfortunate issue since the staff isn't really at fault, just one idiotic customer. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Was at Panera today  around 2pm  While waiting on my order to be called , a lady customer came up to the counter  where you pick up your food and  grabbed  a bag full of food .  None of the food service staff were  facing  the counter  where they  place the finished food orders.  None of the staff had  announced a food order  while I was standing there  waiting on my order  . This other customer started rummaging through the bag they grabbed  and then put it back on the shelf  as it apparently was not her order  . I was appalled .  I said to her that I hadn't heard them call any  of the order numbers.  She ignored me  .She then grabbed another bag  when they put it on the counter and  rummaged through the bag  rhen walked out. I  asked the Panera employee  abt my order #  and he pointed to the bag that other lady rummaged her hand all in the bag over everything . I told the Panera staff abt what the lady did and he said he needed to make me a new one as no other customer is supposed to handle someone elses food.

@skatting44   I would have left asking for my $ back if I had paid.

This would have skeeved me out so bad even with a replacement my appetite would be gone.

We saw this at a restaurant waiting for gyro sandwiches and a woman went up and was lifting the aluminum foil to see which sandwich was hers.

Thankfully ours was still being made.

Ick ick and triple ick.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It should all be on film...most businesses video everything now. 

Honored Contributor

This doesn't sound like a customer looking for her order, though.

She walked out with nothing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

This doesn't sound like a customer looking for her order, though.

She walked out with nothing.

I agree.  Hard telling what she was doing. 

I hope the customers whose orders those were that she touched were notified of the fact and had their order replaced.  YUCK!

This is making me re-think restaurant food delivery!