Contributor

Re: What would you do if you won Powerball???

[ Edited ]

I'd call my attorney, my accountant and my financial advisors. I'd stay as anonymous as I possibly can. I'd probably set up a charitable foundation.  At a minimum, I'd get a Delta Private Jets membership so I could avoid flying commercial whenever possible.  I'd enhance my beach getaway by purchasing the northern end of the island where I currently go and build my own private compound. 

~not a new poster, not a new name, never banned, not my first day at the rodeo~
Honored Contributor

Not tell anyone

get a new phone number

think about it for awhile

The charity ideas are wonderful, but stop to think once people get wind that you have won and are giving money you would be hounded daily.  Set up a foundation to dole out the money.

Honored Contributor

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The record Powerball jackpot just got bigger, climbing to $800 million as sales soared in the days leading up to the drawing.

Gary Grief, executive director of the Texas Lottery, says officials with the Multi-State Lottery Association on Friday raised the estimated jackpot for Saturday night’s drawing from $700 million because of strong sales.

Grief says Powerball sales on Thursday were double the previous record for that day and that it’s possible the estimated jackpot could rise again before the drawing.

A winner would have the option of being paid $800 million through annual payments over 29 years or opting for $496 million in cash.

I might could get by on this.  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

General question (just planning ahead lol!):  When you win something like this, are you obligated to appear on television?  I'm always surprised to see the names of these big winners released and I can't imagine they wanted to appear on television with the announcement.  Do you have to sign something agreeing to appear and agreeing to release your name when you collect your prize?  

Depends on each state

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I wouldn't give any relatives any money.

I know that sounds cold, but let me explain why.

Say I give some winnings to three people in my family.

The rest of the family would become jealous, and say, "Why them and not me?!? It's not like you can't afford it!!!"

Talk about causing a family rift!

Money does strange things to people.

I mean, just look at how people become vultures when someon dies!

Totally agree, and it would never stop

Honored Contributor

Faint.

Esteemed Contributor

I just did the math, and even though my state has only had 3 winners, based on the populations, my chances are almost three times better living here than in PA.

.00000352 for my state

.00000125 for PA

My whole state has about the same population as San Francisco! Woman Surprised

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I would give money to my grandchildren for their college education. I would buy a farm where I could get dogs and cats. I love animals. I would help my best friend out and pay off her mortgage. I would donate money to animal charities. I would make sure the money was going to the animals and not to administration. I would give money to my sister and nephews. I would buy a new car (Rolls Royce -silver). I would buy another home in Monterey. CA.  I would give money to foster homes that care for unwanted children.

Esteemed Contributor

First I would set up accounts to take care of my three sons.  But I don't think I would give them so much so that they did not have to work.  I still want them to work and have careers.  Then I think I would build my dream house and buy a new car.  I think I would also buy a cabin in the mountains.  Then I would donate to numerous rescue organizations and even build them new facilities to house the animals.  Then I think I would donate to organizations that help people who are helping themselves, to help them improve their situations.

Now you got me thinking -- maybe I will go buy a ticket!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

I would buy as many congressmen as I could and see that they close down all the puppy mills in this country and hire some attorneys to prosecute every owner.