Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do if you won Powerball???

Move to Ireland and thoroughly enjoy myself.
Honored Contributor

1) Take a  lump sum.

2) Form a LLC and make all purchases via it.

3) NEVER appear in person or give up my identity; instead, have a team of lawyers, finance and acounting ready to handle any and all issues (with me keeping a close eye on the books).

4) Invest, set up trusts, pay off debts.

5) Change nothing else about my life or that of my family.

6) Most important: TELL NO ONE beyond my legal/finance team.

Spending the money quietly and slowly is the best way to do it. I would not do anything to call attention to myself.. EVER.

Esteemed Contributor

I always say that if I were lucky enough to win big money I would help the animals and other causes that are important to me.  Money doesn't bring happiness but  it would bring comfort.  I would help one friend get financially stable with her business because she is a true friend.  I would have my health checked and go for testing more often.  I would love to live on a farm for a few months a year and somewhere warm for the rest of the year.  I would get a bunch of rescue dogs and have handlers for them.  

Respected Contributor

First, try to remember how to breath.  Second, pick myself up off the floor.Woman LOL

Endorse the ticket, make a xerox copy of it,  lock it in a safe deposit box, hire a large prestigious law firm and an accounting firm, arrange for claiming the prize without publicity.

Then hire someone to find me an estate, driver, cook, personal shopper, cleaning staff, concierge physician, arrange for all deserving relatives to receive a cash gift anonymously. Sit back and watch the fun!

Donate a million to St. Jude's Hospital annually.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

1) Take a  lump sum.

2) Form a LLC and make all purchases via it.

3) NEVER appear in person or give up my identity; instead, have a team of lawyers, finance and acounting ready to handle any and all issues (with me keeping a close eye on the books).

4) Invest, set up trusts, pay off debts.

5) Change nothing else about my life or that of my family.

6) Most important: TELL NO ONE beyond my legal/finance team.

Spending the money quietly and slowly is the best way to do it. I would not do anything to call attention to myself.. EVER.

I would do the same thing... except it would be hard to keep it a secret.  I don't know where you live, In my state I cannot remain anonymous.

With Powerball tickets sold in 44 states, as well as in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, all but six states require lottery winners to come forward publicly. Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina still allow winners to remain anonymous.

Respected Contributor

I'd restore/remodel my house.  I do agree that finding a good lawyer and banker would be vital.

That much money needs to be safe and secure so I could live off the interest for a good long time.

Maybe buy a tropical island.  Just for weekends don't you know.

Esteemed Contributor

Once all the basics were in place and some very specific items taken care of I would donate a large portion of the winnings to research to find a cure for MS.

That said, I sincerely hope there are a multitude of winners.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I would give a lot of it away. There's no way I need that much money.  For myself I would want a house on a beach somewhere.  I don't really need anything else that is extravagant.  There are a lot of people I could help. 

Trusted Contributor

Giving money away to charities is fine, but giving away large chunks of money to family and friends is probably not such a good idea.  

This may be an exxageration, but I heard that most lottery winners are bankrupt within something like 2 years.  So, while you may be responsible with your winnings, the ones to whom you gift large sums of money may not, and sure enough, they'll be back with their hands out.  I would promise my closest relatives a new house, new cars, then let them know that they get a specific amount as a gift, each year, at Christmas time.  If they come to me outside that gift looking for more, they break the agreement, and tney are financially cut off.  

Honored Contributor

Of course I know my husband has a snow balls chance in you know where of winning the lottery, but if you don't play then you have no chance. Anyway, you could do a lot of good for people and animals with that kind of money.