Esteemed Contributor

What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

What would you do if you suddenly became homeless, with no family to fall back on, no friends to turn to, and no resources (cash, a house, investments, anything)?

All you have left is your car. What would you do....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

Wow.....I am not very resourceful...I don't know what I would do...but it sure is frightening to think about....

I will say that when I see the areas that have been hit with tornadoes...hurricanes...etc...and there is nothing left to the town...I always wonder what those people do ....and hope it never happens to me...

Very thought provoking thread...I can't wait to read what everyone would do...

Respected Contributor

I was actually thinking about this yesterday, Yorkie. I saw a man on my way to work under an overpass (I don't think I've ever seen anyone under this particular one) with a shopping cart full of items, and a sign, and he was in a sleeping bag on the ground. It was about 6 am, and I thought about how terrified I would be to be in that same spot. Of course my mind is running and thinking about what I would do, and I'm not sure. I would probably go to the local mission for assistance, and would also look for employment ASAP. I'm blessed in that I have a good education, which lots of people don't, so I would try to have income as soon as I could. I would probably look for a well-lit parking lot in which to park my car? There are just a lot of questions and factors and variables in this situation. What's really sad? That here, in America, so many people, including CHILDREN are in this situation. Sorry if I rambled....

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Very scary. I really don't know. Try to pass my self off as a big baby in a bassinet on the steps of a church?

Trusted Contributor

If I only had a car that's a good thing. I could sleep in it. I would park my car in a hospital parking lot at night I think it would be safer. I would look for a job right away in a restaurant. They are always hiring. This way I could have food.. Even if the wages weren't the best, I would still take it. I would even  try to find a second job or take more hours at the restaurant.I would stay in my car until I could afford a room. If it is winter I would go to a shelter to keep warm. I would work my way back starting small and keep on going until I get more settled. Then hopefully into an apartment. I have a strong will . I would not drink or do drugs that only makes it worse. When I get back on my feet I would help the homeless in many ways. My motto in life would be been there in a deep hole and come back to be productive once  again. I would stay strong and determined and pray . I would be thankful for the lesson that I was taught. Never Never give up!!

Respected Contributor

Hope I had enough gas to drive to our summer home ! ...........: > )

Valued Contributor

Sell the car and anything else I did not need. Take the money and hop a greyhound to somewhere warmer.

Trusted Contributor

Cry

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting question, but difficult to answer without any context.  Generally speaking, the first thing I would do is thank the Good L-RD that I still had my car and ask His help, protection, and provision.  Then, depending on circumstances, if I had to, I'd spend a few days in my car...I have water, wipes and a blanket in my car at all times (as well as first aid kit)...if I still had my purse with me, I would have some overnight necessities and an energy bar or two.  I'd seek out the nearest Christian church and/or the Salvation Army.  The Red Cross will usually provide shelter for a short term.  In the meantime, I would do a version of what vickiv posted upthread.

While I've never been in the scenario you presented, I've been in situations where I found myself suddenly alone without a job or shelter.  However, I've always had family and/or friends, marketable skills (thanks Mom and Dad!), and some (meager) resources.  Back in the day, when my life crashed around me (not due to drugs or alcohol...mostly due to my stupid choices), I rented rooms or traded room/bath for helping the elderly until I got back on my feet.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

There's supposedly a group of homeless people about 30 miles from here that lives in the woods. Government offices won't give out the address/directions because they're afraid people will harrass them.....at least that's what I heard....