Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

@Shorty2U wrote:

It wont happen because I have a husband and family! But.... 

If it happened to me I would go back to the city to the shelter that helps people start over, I would sell the car (not needed in the city, can use public transit). The money from the car would help me to have some cash to start over. Which is what I would do and I would make it! Of course i would be upset and not like it. But........

I could start over and have. After my first divorce I had family yes, but I had spine surgery and a divorce going on at the same time. Never asked for help from family or friends. When I lost my job from being out too long on sick leave (never to go back), I cashed in my work pension. I took public transit and paid my own bills and cut back on everything and I made it.

I met my 2nd husband during all of that, but I lived broke for 6 years scrimping money before we got married, and never said a word or cried to anyone (including him, my children, no one!), about how broke I was, and the rest is history.

I have been through it all since 2001 w my health w back issues, breast cancer, and various tragedies (I wont discuss here), the list goes on. I don't give up without a fight!

You've had a rough time.  Didn't you injure your back at work?  If so, didn't you receive workers' compensation and disability?

Esteemed Contributor

Our family was homeless 16 years ago - one night in April, our home burned to the ground.

What do you do?  Comfort one another, reassure your children, thank God for friends and family - put one foot  in front of another. Great insurance is also important and we had it.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Our family was homeless 16 years ago - one night in April, our home burned to the ground.

What do you do?  Comfort one another, reassure your children, thank God for friends and family - put one foot  in front of another. Great insurance is also important and we had it.

MGM, what an awful time you must have had!! All of your treasured memories of your children and family, photos etc. I am happy to read that you had good insurance and were able to rebuild. Life certainly can hit us with some really difficult things to deal with. I am really sorry that happened to you.

Honored Contributor

In my area there is a church on just about every corner. Now I'm not a congregator , but I wouldn't think twice about seeing just how helpful the church is to people in need.

Honored Contributor

I"d figure out a way to live.  I feel TERRIBLE for anyone who is or has been homeless. It breaks my heart. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I'd go directly to The Salvation Army.  No doubt about it.

Frequent Contributor

If I  recall correctly that was Scarlett 0' Hara's problem

Esteemed Contributor

Dear fourpaws56,  I am truly sorry about your situation.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Is there any possibility of getting you some help?

Also, so many heartbreaking stories here.  Makes you wonder why all this happens in the richest country in the planet.  No, I am not starting anything political here.  Just my thoughts.

Honored Contributor

I would probably fall apart at first and then take action.I would go to a church or the Salvation Army and ask for help with food and a place to asleep while  I got busy looking for s job.I would try to think of the situation as an adventure and challenge to keep my spirits up.It would be interesting to see how much assistance there us out there for people who seek help.I know that there is a lot of generosity in this country and that I wouldn't stave to death under a bridge.

Honored Contributor

After reading, for the past several years here, about experiences throughout the country,  I'm thinking that it somewhat depends on the area.  Some areas have a lot of public assistance.  Others, not so much.  Although, I'm thinking that in smaller towns and/or smaller communities, the generousity of the folks living there shines through, without much (if any) public assistance.  Nice folks helping nice folks.  At least, I hope so.  Cat Happy   Always hoping for the best, regardless.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).