Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

@Smaug wrote:

I don't know what I would do but I do know your avatar is super cute Yorkie Smiley Happy

Aww, thanks!   

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I have been homeless, and I am semi-homeless now. I hang on to my faith...nobody can take that away from me..

I'm sorry for your situation, but I can relate.

We didn't have anywhere to go, except this old house that was full of garbage and didn't have running water half the time.

We had to go to the bathroom in a bucket.

Hang onto your faith; things will get better.

57992758715.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Immediately:

Sell my car, as I have a 'special needs' body healthwise, and would need the rest of the money for shelter and other basic expenses.

Then, rent a room at a safe and clean motel/other.

That's hopefully within short walking distance of a town.

And that also takes kitties if I have a companion cat.

I had to sell my car 7 years ago, haven't had any close family members for the last 20 years, aren't blessed with close friends that might take me/us in temporarily, and haven't had any resources or assets for quite a while.

So I've had to do much research and consider the possibility of homelessnes over the years - which could happen to anyone and via any circumstance, BTW -  and it has fortunately made me much wiser.

Esteemed Contributor

It wont happen because I have a husband and family! But.... 

If it happened to me I would go back to the city to the shelter that helps people start over, I would sell the car (not needed in the city, can use public transit). The money from the car would help me to have some cash to start over. Which is what I would do and I would make it! Of course i would be upset and not like it. But........

I could start over and have. After my first divorce I had family yes, but I had spine surgery and a divorce going on at the same time. Never asked for help from family or friends. When I lost my job from being out too long on sick leave (never to go back), I cashed in my work pension. I took public transit and paid my own bills and cut back on everything and I made it.

I met my 2nd husband during all of that, but I lived broke for 6 years scrimping money before we got married, and never said a word or cried to anyone (including him, my children, no one!), about how broke I was, and the rest is history.

I have been through it all since 2001 w my health w back issues, breast cancer, and various tragedies (I wont discuss here), the list goes on. I don't give up without a fight!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all, the best of luck to all who are homeless.  It takes a lot of luck, and if one is lucky enough to live in an area with strong public assistance, and if one isn't dr*g/substance dependant, it's probably a lot easier to move outward and upward.  Some areas even accept folks' dogs into their shelters, from what I've heard.  Feel very sorry for people who don't have friends/family to help out, though.  As long as one is physically and mentally healthy, dr*g free, the world is open to them to move upward, in some instances and in some areas.  I'm thinking that 'sometimes', it's about where you are and how much ambition one has.  Yes, checking out various charities first would be a step in the right direction. (There are a lot of generous folks who donate much of their time and money to various charities in order to help out less fortunate people to move onward and upward, which is a true blessing. Just thinking  about it warms my heart.)  And, if available and completely necessary, take advantage of the temporary assistance that's available.  It's there for a reason, as long as it's properly used.    'All in all', getting oneself 'out of a rut', no matter what type of 'rut' it is, would be a huge achievement.  Lots of good luck to all concerned.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

First that would not happen given my history of a divorce at age 50 and my need to stand on my own, for which I have done 20+ yrs.  Worked to age 71 in order to create enough of a pension/SS and nestegg to take care of myself and have owned my little cottage for 48 yrs..  But, on the other hand if for some reason it was all gone tomorrow and I became homeless, I would get a job, live in my car until I had enough to find a small, safe, decent place to live!.Then, I would use my salvaged sewing machine and start a seamstress business and work a job.  Many homeless are frought with mental illness (schizophrenia or PTSD) and those of us who are speculating are not challenged in this manner!

Honored Contributor

And, yes, we really don't need a car, in many areas.  I grew up taking public transportation, and actually, it's almost stress-free. Time to read a book, or enjoy the views.  Watch people, pass by various sites.  And in some areas, riding a bike is also very popular.  The expense of automobile insurance and gasoline now-a-days is 'over the top'.  Think of all of the money we can save or use wisely. I'd take advantage of the generousity of public transportation.  Think of how lucky we are to have it!!  Buses running back and forth on time, no matter how empty (rider-wise) they are. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

One of my good friends is a social worker for the SA. She loves the work she does but sadly they run on donations. And they often run out. She also distributes heating vouchers when she has them. They run out, too.

Shelters? I did a semester project in college regarding homeless shelters. I was shocked that most were alcoholic/drug addicts and most had criminal history. These were women's shelters. If you have predatory history you are barred. And most have short stays like 5-10 days. Some will turn you away because they have no room. Even with small children.

For those who have never known homelessness or hunger, no matter how it happened, you are fortunate indeed. For those who live like Pollyanna and say "this will never happen to us"....I pray you are right because you will not have the wherewithall to survive.

***I guess it depends on the shelter.  As I wrote in my previous post, I donate regularly to one near me that does wonderful work.  It's more than a shelter...they help people with finding jobs, drug/alcohol rehab, getting GEDs, etc.  It is a faith-based organization that includes a men's shelter, a residence for women and children, and a drop in center that is open all day for anyone to come in to have coffee, tea, and talk with someone.  They also serve three meals a day every day to any who come by.  If I were truly down and out, without anything in the world..no money, family/friends, just rock bottom, as described in the original post, I would go there for help and support.  In fact, just thinking about this now has inspired me to make a donation today.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Yes, a reminder to donate to local charities where we know the money is being used in a proper way.  Take an unexpected visit, etc.  'See what's going on', in other words.  Nothing makes us feel better than to know that our donations are being directly used, locally.  To benefit our community, our residents and neighbors.  Heart

Honored Contributor

If we are talking about me having no birds to be responsible for, no home, no bank accounts, no 401k, no job, no family to have to worry about.

I've lived a good life - time to go back to God.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise