Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

I don't concern myself with what if's, especially when I see the word "suddenly". That would require an act of nature or a fire. Nature? Not something I can control, and I would let my homeowners insurer take care of that, same with a fire.

Other possible "suddenlies"?  I'll wait till it arrives then give it some it some thought.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

Would never happen, I own my home free & clear.

It could happen - they could raise your property taxes so high, you couldn't pay them.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I don't concern myself with what if's, especially when I see the word "suddenly". That would require an act of nature or a fire. Nature? Not something I can control, and I would let my homeowners insurer take care of that, same with a fire.

Other possible "suddenlies"?  I'll wait till it arrives then give it some it some thought.

I don't concern myself with such questions either, really. It's just a question. Not to be taken seriously.

I guess I just have a curious mind....anyway...what I would do...I would probably start praying...then I would drive the car to somewhere I could keep it parked because I wouldn't have gas $ for a while.

I think it would take a couple days for it all to sink in and formulate a plan.

In the meantime, I'd probably dumpster dive and try to scrounge some food. You could go to McDonald's or somewhere and eat people's scraps they leave on their plates if you got desperate...

I don't know if I would go seek government assistance or shelter assistance because they are so intrusive. I might go to a church where I could sleep under the parking canopy or something...I would also try to find a way I could protect myself if necessary...you never know....

Honored Contributor

I can't ever see that really happening unless there was some sort of apocalypse. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

Wow. That is the most naive statement I've heard in awhile. One never truly owns anything. It can all be taken away in a heartbeat. 

Just the inability to pay the taxes or maintain it over time would cause one to loose and even paid for home.

It's incredibly naive and it's also forgetting other reasons a person could be homeless - even temporarily.  What about a devastating fire that burns that "free & clear" home to the ground? 

Respected Contributor

I have been homeless, and I am semi-homeless now. I hang on to my faith...nobody can take that away from me..

Esteemed Contributor

One of my good friends is a social worker for the SA. She loves the work she does but sadly they run on donations. And they often run out. She also distributes heating vouchers when she has them. They run out, too.

Shelters? I did a semester project in college regarding homeless shelters. I was shocked that most were alcoholic/drug addicts and most had criminal history. These were women's shelters. If you have predatory history you are barred. And most have short stays like 5-10 days. Some will turn you away because they have no room. Even with small children.

For those who have never known homelessness or hunger, no matter how it happened, you are fortunate indeed. For those who live like Pollyanna and say "this will never happen to us"....I pray you are right because you will not have the wherewithall to survive.

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I have been homeless, and I am semi-homeless now. I hang on to my faith...nobody can take that away from me..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wishing you the best. Good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

Wow. That is the most naive statement I've heard in awhile. One never truly owns anything. It can all be taken away in a heartbeat. 

Just the inability to pay the taxes or maintain it over time would cause one to loose and even paid for home.

One never owns their property, with having taxes.  Also, liens can be put on your property.

Respected Contributor

I don't know what I would do but I do know your avatar is super cute Yorkie Smiley Happy

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____