Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,307
Registered: ‎09-05-2014

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

I feel that people who are left homeless because of "acts of God" such as tornadoes and hurricanes will gather together and help each other in their community but it is traumatic!!

But if I were left homeless without having gone through an "act of God", I would first ask myself, "how did this happen to me and what mistakes did I make in my life or did someone else let me down".     I am sure I would cry alot and then look for employment and try and put my life back in order any way I could!  I would definitely ask for God's help!!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,769
Registered: ‎05-22-2014

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

[ Edited ]

MacDuff, I really like your answer to this question.  The Salvation Army is a wonderful organization.  They will shelter, feed, and help the homeless get back on their feet.  I worked for a man who was on the local board of the SA, so I learned more about this organization than I had known.  They are such a dedicated group of people and truly deserve financial support.  I would certainly trust them to help me while I rebuilt my life.  I guess there's an old saying - "There but the grace of God go I."

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

The only way this could happen would be if the world as we know it completely ends. Our home is paid for and I'm confident we have enough in our investments to live off for the rest of our lives. So, short of a nuclear explosion taking out the entire earth, we are fine as is.

Besides, as long as you have a car, you have a place to live, sorta.Many people don't even have that.

I am reminded of a sweet homeless man who comes to our food bank.He said "I'm not homeless. I have a tent.And I am clean,because I have a basin and I get washed every day." He was clean,and wearing clean clothes.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?


@PamfromCT wrote:

MacDuff, I really like your answer to this question.  The Salvation Army is a wonderful organization.  They will shelter, feed, and help the homeless get back on their feet.  I worked for a man who was on the local board of the SA, so I learned more about this organization than I had known.  They are such a dedicated group of people and truly deserve financial support.  I would certainly trust them to help me while I rebuilt my life.  I guess there's an old saying - "There but the grace of God go I."

 


 

Many of the homeless don't want to go to the Salvation Army because they don't want to be preached at.They tell us all the time thay they appreciate us giving them food and clothes and personal care items at our church without preaching at them.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?


@Snowpuppy wrote:

Get a job? You tend to look a little scraggly after a few weeks of homelesness. Where is your employer going to locate you? What happens when your phone runs out and you can no longer pay for it?

 

Keeping your clothes clean for an interview? How ya gonna get to the interview? Car? Gas? Insurance? Bus Tickets? Who is watching your small ones while you go?

 

I love coming here. So many trite answers to a difficult life.


 

Many of the people here do not work and are home all the time. They live very small , secluded lives and really don't understand how harsh it is out in the real world.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,497
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

[ Edited ]

@4paws wrote:

Would never happen, I own my home free & clear.


Wow. That is the most naive statement I've heard in awhile. One never truly owns anything. It can all be taken away in a heartbeat. 

 

Just the inability to pay the taxes or maintain it over time would cause one to loose an even paid for home.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,497
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

The only way this could happen would be if the world as we know it completely ends. Our home is paid for and I'm confident we have enough in our investments to live off for the rest of our lives. So, short of a nuclear explosion taking out the entire earth, we are fine as is.

Besides, as long as you have a car, you have a place to live, sorta.Many people don't even have that.

I am reminded of a sweet homeless man who comes to our food bank.He said "I'm not homeless. I have a tent.And I am clean,because I have a basin and I get washed every day." He was clean,and wearing clean clothes.

 


Have people forgotten the Great Depression. Paid for homes, and fortunes in banks were gone, in the blink of an eye. Can't pay taxes, house gone. Banks closes or investments tank, done for. 

 

And it doesn't take a big disaster. People have their personal disasters every day. Major illness, money is gone, health declined to the point one is unable to work or make money. Can't keep up the house, or pay to maintain what is in it. 

 

It happens. Don't see how people think they are bullet proof, just because they have a nice, paid for house, and some money in the bank. That is great, and smart and gives some level of security, but isn't foolproof.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,769
Registered: ‎05-22-2014

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

I just wanted to add another thought.  I don't pretend to be an economist (only took micro and macro in college), but there could be catastrophic events that could really devastate our financial system.  Like many others, we are fortunate to have what we have and what seems like a very secure future.  I bet there were people in Greece who has the same thoughts several years ago.  Such a devastating picture there now. 

Reminds me of the American depression.  Glad there are international aid workers there now.  Of course, there's good reason for Americans to be optimistic, but extremely grateful for what we enjoy.  

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,900
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Get a job? You tend to look a little scraggly after a few weeks of homelesness. Where is your employer going to locate you? What happens when your phone runs out and you can no longer pay for it?

 

Keeping your clothes clean for an interview? How ya gonna get to the interview? Car? Gas? Insurance? Bus Tickets? Who is watching your small ones while you go?

 

I love coming here. So many trite answers to a difficult life.


Your last 2 lines are the perfect response to so many posts on this forum.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,306
Registered: ‎10-15-2010

Re: What would you do if you were suddenly homeless?


@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

What would you do if you suddenly became homeless, with no family to fall back on, no friends to turn to, and no resources (cash, a house, investments, anything)?

 

All you have left is your car. What would you do....


I'm very resourceful. The first thing I would do is look for a safe place to stay; a church or women's shelter. Once I had that secured, I would begin looking for a job asap. Even without an education, most people can find an entry level job. As someone mentioned there is no context here, but I would go to the Salvation Army and other places that donate clothes and look for an outfit or two to go on interviews and for clean clothes to wear.

 

Depending on where I live I would need my car to get around and gas to find a job. I would volunteer anywhere I could in exchange for the gas money or try to find a community outreach center etc. that could help with this as well as with food. No shame, since now is the time that I have hit rock bottom. It's not falling that counts but getting back up. I'm a fighter and I would concentrate on getting back on my feet.

~Live with Intention~