Trusted Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

@QueenDanceALot  ..... Not true. Maybe in some companies but not all. I went to my corporation's HR on a problem and the company sided with me.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  ..... Not true. Maybe in some companies but not all. I went to my corporation's HR on a problem and the company sided with me.

@Sheila P-Burg 

Lots of companies.  They may act like they're trying to help you but when push comes to shove the company gets the nod.

You are fortunate yours sided with you.

Honored Contributor

First I'd call my doctor to discuss the risks. Personally, just one day a week wearing a mask wouldn't scare me too much. I would shower and change clothes before checking on my brother since his risk is higher. Now, if retirement were in my future, I'd simply sign up earlier.

Super Contributor

@conlt - she sounds very irresponsible.  I hope HR ( or someone else in authority) puts a stop to it. 💗

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot I agree.  The bottom line is that HR works for the company, not the employee.  I've seen it happen so many times over the years to many people, especially when work force reductions are at play.  The company can claim that the job description has changed and if the employee does not or cannot adjust accordingly then termination is justified.

Esteemed Contributor

I work at home.

I had to go in the day after the warning for 60+ year olds in crowds was issued. I'm 61.  I didn't say anything because everyone knows that I hate going into the office.

Pre-Covid19, people there don't cover when they sneeze or cough. WAH use a shared desk when we are in the office.  I always wipe down with Clorox wipes before I touch anything.  I hate using the rest rooms.  If I eat lunch I do it in my car. 

When the Stay Home/Shelter in place order came there was a meeting.  I told the VP I didn't want to come in when I did because of Covid19 and I'm over 60.  I did it because I thought they'd make me anyway.  He said he didn't want me or anyone else to come in if they felt unsafe.

So I won't be going in ever again, unless I'm turning in my equipment.

Respected Contributor

I live in Florida. I don't think there are any rules here for the ADA for Covid, but I am not sure. I would think an argument could be made for it though especially since I had already been working at home, as are others. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 I am in Florida, a right to work state. I am not sure if I fall under the ADA or not. There no contracts for work in Florida. Your employer can let you go for any reason unless the termination is breaking a law or a rule. For instance, if you see something going on illegal, and report and get fired, then your termination is likely retaliation. I think my only recourse would be if I was covered under the ADA, but she offered to make accommodations to let me stay by myself in a separate office with those coming in and out to wear masks. The entire idea of going in makes no sense to me at all. Before covid I used to travel to meetings in the office, 98% of the time, I was working at home. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

@suzyQ3 I am in Florida, a right to work state. I am not sure if I fall under the ADA or not. There no contracts for work in Florida. Your employer can let you go for any reason unless the termination is breaking a law or a rule. For instance, if you see something going on illegal, and report and get fired, then your termination is likely retaliation. I think my only recourse would be if I was covered under the ADA, but she offered to make accommodations to let me stay by myself in a separate office with those coming in and out to wear masks. The entire idea of going in makes no sense to me at all. Before covid I used to travel to meetings in the office, 98% of the time, I was working at home. 

@conlt, you are probably correct. The only advice I got from husband is that might consider, if all else fails, to consult with an employment attorney.

My husband's work is almost always arbitrating union/employees regarding grievances and sometimes contracts.

I wish the best of luck. Are you considering retirement?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt, are all of the other employees who work from home now required to work one day a week in the office?  I understand the concept of team building and staff knowing each other. In many businesses completion of each step in a process has to be completed before the next step can be taken. The steps are built on each other so it is necessary to have good communication with one's co-workers. Maybe management and the new boss think it would benefit everyone to work at least one day a week in the office.

I had a boss years ago who told us she did what needed doing whether it was inconvenient or not. Therefore, we were expected to change if needed. In your case, however, your health is a major factor. 

Your company might be willing to let you work exclusively at home since it would be accommodating your disability. EEOP could get involved if the company won't cooperate but you should avoid it if at all possible. It is an ordeal.

You said you have brought up your brother's health which affects your need to continue working from home. Don't bring it up unless asked and don't emphasize it. Your physical condition and limitations are what the company will consider in regard to your working exclusively at home.