Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

Retiring at 62, you lose a certain percentage of your SS. Sometimes it´s not worth it, no matter what your budget is.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

By the way, I did not mention my brother, just my comorbititis. My brother lives with a roommate about 3 blocks from me. I have only been with this company since November 2019 and working at home since December 2019. The founders/bosses are my former employers who were thrilled to have me back with them. In fact it was the COO who set me up with the work at home job. She suggested it and arranged it. She is very forward thinking and innovative. The new boss that I report to is new to the company with no prior history. .There is much that she has done that people don't like. The field clinicians have been complaining about her. 

Honored Contributor

It sounds like the boss doesn't trust that employees who work from home are really working.  Having you keep the camera on is ridiculous.  Come into the office and stay in a separate office, defeats the purpose of going in.  I'd want to know are my coworkers that work at home also dealing with this?  Will one day in the office turn into 2. 

I'd talk with the boss again.  Remind her you were hired to work from home and you would like to keep that arrangement.  Throw out an achievement of two.  If you really don't mind going in once and a while, tell her that.  Once the pandemic is over, we can revist the topic.  I'd stand firm and not let emotion sneak in the conversation.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

First off she would have to sue the Company not the manager. Second off she said before the virus she did 98% of her work at home. I guess the other 2% must have been in the office. Third no official documentation saying her work was to be done from home. That being the case what would the grounds be for suing?

Honored Contributor

@conlt    We're interested so be sure and let us know how this all plays out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I haven't read any of the replies, and I'm sure you are between a rock and a hard place with this. You probably need your job, but you don't want to compromise your risk right now, and I feel for you. 

I would fight this. You were hired and set up to work at home. This isn't the time for team building bs, in my opinion. I'd fight this as long as you realize you might be let go because of it and can deal with that. 

I'd  have gone over her head too. What is the point of making you come in to team build then put you in a room by yourself? I get sick of people in positions of management who think they have to mix things up all the time, create bonds that are never really there, and often aren't really needed to get the job done, and done well. 

It's often a waste of time and money and resources, and most businesses really cannot afford that right now. 

I wish you luck with this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

@suzyQ3  it was Dinaki who made that statement not @Silver Lining.

@Sage04, thanks. Somehow it became very confusing. :-)

@Silver Lining

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Where’s her common sense? I agree that you shouldn’t have to go in. Get a doctors note. She can save the unnecessary one day a week employee socializing for when this virus is all over. Not now.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

I would provide them with a very detailed letter from my doctor

I agree with getting a letter from a doctor, but not detailed.  Just the basic facts:  She's high risk and going into the office is not advisable and could be dangerous/detrimental to her health.  He doesn't need to provide a full accounting of her medical issues, and he shouldn't.

Esteemed Contributor

@KimSG wrote:

@KittyLou

The point of bringig up the "what if's"is to think about the reason the OP does not want to go into work. Is covid-19 the only reason? If covid-19 was not an issue, would she still object? Suppose she objected to going into work becasue of covid-19 and was allowed to opt out. Once there is a vaccine and covid-19 is no longer a valid reason to opt out, would she still object becasue it is not what she was required to do when hired? I guess another way to say it is this - don't use covid-19 for the reason now if you will then switch to the reason that it is not part of your contract. 

There are two reasons.  She was hired to work from home AND it's unsafe for her to go into the office now because of Covid.  There's nothing wrong with having two reasons and using both of them to state her case now.