Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

I would wait until I hear from upper management until I made a decision. I hope he or she understands your situation and let's you stay at home. If you were hired to work at home and you are performing your job, I see no reason for you to go into the office. 

It does make me wonder where they get some of these managers. Apparently, she has very limited knowledge about the current situation or she chooses to ignore it. I hope everything works out for you. 

Respected Contributor

If she's so interested in team building, has she considered telecommuting with your co-workers?

Cookouts?  Don't even get me started!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

Ask for an accommodation under ADA for a work at home arrangement with a note from your physician.  If you've done your work, all tasks, from home, to their satisfaction there is no reason to decline the request.  

Trusted Contributor

@conlt , if I was you, I would stay home and take good care at my brother, my blood.

Emplyers dont want or try to understand as they see their employees as a dollar figure.

So stay home dear and if you get terminated by her, stay calm, try to look for another job and if you money permits, sue her. You have explained to her that you are ill and you have a brothert to take care at home.

Now, I dont know about suing here in America, but definetly you can if you were in Europe!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

You are correct, the doctor does not have to write a detailed report.  He just has to write due to serious health conditions, he is requesting continuance of the wfh arrangement under ADA expecially that she is compromised and in the high risk category for contraction of Covid-19. 

with many  companies, allowing permanent wfh arrangements, it's really odd that a supervisor would request someone with a health issue to be physically present at this time.   If the situation was granted for medical reasons, a manager just can't arbitrarily change the work arrangement.  However, they can ask for recertification or if the tasks have changed and the job has changed in any way & all aspects of a job can't be done at home, they may have to revisit the arrangement but it is done in a different way & through the HR department.  

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

Hello Halo,

You owe her no explanantion of your medical issues- that is private information.

Have your doctor send a note/email stating you have medical conditions that make you very high risk at being exposed to the virus and you need to stay at home.

Best of luck!!!

@ellaphant 

Yes, I believe that HIPAA laws protect @conlt  from having to reveal her medical issues in any sort of detail to this employer.

@QueenDanceALot- it's not HIPA in this case.  It's medical confidentiality.  In some cases a doctor might have to go into detail if asking for an accommodation which is "reasonable".  Caring for her brother is necessary but not the responsibility of her company.  She must focus on her condition only.  If I had carpal tunnel syndrome and needed an accommodation, the doctor would have to outline why & what is necessary.  I'm assuming her company knows her condition and the doctor need not outline it or get too specific but an employer does have the right to ask why and how long,or permanent.   When an employee is asking for an accommodation, an employer does have some rights.  The direct manager usually does not make the final decision but has input. A manager can't demand her return if wfh was requested for medical reasons.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

Hello Halo,

You owe her no explanantion of your medical issues- that is private information.

Have your doctor send a note/email stating you have medical conditions that make you very high risk at being exposed to the virus and you need to stay at home.

Best of luck!!!

@ellaphant 

Yes, I believe that HIPAA laws protect @conlt  from having to reveal her medical issues in any sort of detail to this employer.

@QueenDanceALot- it's not HIPA in this case.  It's medical confidentiality.  In some cases a doctor might have to go into detail if asking for an accommodation which is "reasonable".  Caring for her brother is necessary but not the responsibility of her company.  She must focus on her condition only.  If I had carpal tunnel syndrome and needed an accommodation, the doctor would have to outline why & what is necessary.  I'm assuming her company knows her condition and the doctor need not outline it or get too specific but an employer does have the right to ask why and how long,or permanent.   When an employee is asking for an accommodation, an employer does have some rights.  The direct manager usually does not make the final decision but has input. A manager can't demand her return if wfh was requested for medical reasons.  

HIPAA does apply here as the law under Title II has a privacy rule.

Respected Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

@conlt , if I was you, I would stay home and take good care at my brother, my blood.

Emplyers dont want or try to understand as they see their employees as a dollar figure.

So stay home dear and if you get terminated by her, stay calm, try to look for another job and if you money permits, sue her. You have explained to her that you are ill and you have a brothert to take care at home.

Now, I dont know about suing here in America, but definetly you can if you were in Europe!

Very bad advice. Rightfully so, companies want employees to do the job they are hired to do. Suing your employer because they won't pay you to stay at home to take care of someone is crazy. Doubtful any attorney would take the case anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey Your VP sounds like a great boss! Lucky you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, I had a supervisor who watched us all the time. I don't know what your boss is thinking though.

Anyway, I hope you don't have any problems.