Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

If your employer supplies home nurses and therapists, then you need to find a different job.

The astounding lack of care for both employees and clients is beyond description.

If the agency is part of a medical system, they need to be notified.  If it they are free standing the local /state entries must be notified.

This a good example of why we need excercise care for those we may have in our families.  

They are having their team building and then entering our homes.

Honored Contributor

@conlt, you've received some good advice here.

My husband is a labor arbitrator. Let me ask him for his opinion. What state are you in? Sorry if I missed that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt  You didn't mention some key points:

1) Is this your primary/only source of income?

2) Do you receive any Health/Dental Benefits from them?

3) How long have you worked for them (thinking of your 401K)

4) Is this job easily replaceable (new job) 

5) Is this a job you really like 

Having you sit in another room to 'video chat' with your colleagues is no different than if you did so at your home. Don't understand why your boss doesn't see that, as you would technically still not be sitting in the same room. ?? 

As for the cookout...You can tell the truth - that you're still uncomfortable with social gatherings, or, depending on the day of the week for this cookout, claim someone is scheduled to do a minor repair at your house and you can't leave. ?? 

Some jobs are hard to come by, and you have to weigh the pros/cons of your decision. And, so far, she's only requesting you appear in the office once a week.  Hopefully, the COO will come to your aid and tell your boss to make an exception for you at this point in time with regard to the virus situation.

Personally, I think she's being unreasonable regarding your 'physical attendance' as I previously stated that you would still be 'teleconferencing' with them.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@conlt Geez it makes no sense to put you in an office situation like that, especially now.  I had a boss that always wanted to have "forced socialization" situations, some of which included golf outings during the work week where you would have to use your own vacation time, pay for the tee time, and, it was to support his daughter's soccer team!  Needless to say, I did not participate.  

I think I would be very careful of how much you say about your health issues.  First, it's none of her business.  I would try to get a formal letter from your doctor to have at the ready as others have suggested.  If needed, I would then provide it to your HR rep, not the boss.  Second, I don't think I would mention anything about taking care of your brother.  I'm concerned it could be used against you in some way.  

Since you already spoke to the COO, I would sit tight and see what transpires from that.  I'm crossing my fingers that that person might be able to help resolve the situation.  As others have said, keep a record of any conversations and copies of emails.  

Wishing you a favorable outcome, stay safe!

~LdyBugz

Honored Contributor

@KimSG wrote:

@KittyLou

The point of bringig up the "what if's"is to think about the reason the OP does not want to go into work. Is covid-19 the only reason? If covid-19 was not an issue, would she still object? Suppose she objected to going into work becasue of covid-19 and was allowed to opt out. Once there is a vaccine and covid-19 is no longer a valid reason to opt out, would she still object becasue it is not what she was required to do when hired? I guess another way to say it is this - don't use covid-19 for the reason now if you will then switch to the reason that it is not part of your contract. 

@KimSG 

She's already stated the reason and it's a completely valid one.

Any reason in the future (if she needs one) will be a separate issue.

Trusted Contributor

@conlt  ......  I am not going to tell you what I think you should do since you have already set in motion what may or may not happen by going over your boss's head and contacting your company's COO. 

Most company's have an HR department. That, in my opinion, might have been the best move after talking to your boss.

How you handle the situation from now on will depend on the response from the COO. Needless to say whatever the response is I have a feeling your working relationship with this new boss will not a pleasant one.

Like others have said. You will turn 62 in a couple of weeks. At least if things do not work out you have the option of social security.

Honored Contributor

Family Medical Leave

I am so allergic to mosquitoes that I cannot attend anything outdoors in the summer.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@conlt  ......  I am not going to tell you what I think you should do since you have already set in motion what may or may not happen by going over your boss's head and contacting your company's COO. 

Most company's have an HR department. That, in my opinion, might have been the best move after talking to your boss.

How you handle the situation from now on will depend on the response from the COO. Needless to say whatever the response is I have a feeling your working relationship with this new boss will not a pleasant one.

Like others have said. You will turn 62 in a couple of weeks. At least if things do not work out you have the option of social security.

@Sheila P-Burg 

HR Departments work for the employer, not the employee.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3  .....  Since your husband is a labor arbitrator (mine was also but he dealt more with companies and unions) he may not want to give an opinion without hearing both sides of the complaint. Just my opinion. If he does please make sure he is aware you will be posting his opinion on an internet forum.

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have been working at home since December 2019. All of my job functions are done at home.  When I was hired I was hired to work at home  We have others on our team that also work at home. Since then we have a new boss and she wants me to come to the office 1 X per week now because she want us to socialize and get to know our other team members. Our office if fairly small and those who are there have not been using precautions. They get on zoom sitting side by side with no masks on.

I asked for an exception because I am high risk for serious complications because of my age, I turn 62 in 4 weeks, my weight, I have hypertension, sleep apnea, and I have a hix of pulmonary issues and damage to my lungs from the year that we had the H1N1 flu and I became severely ill. I take an inhaler and medications for my lungs. 

She said that I to come in but she would put me in an office alone and anyone who came in would have to use masks. Of course I was very upset and I used to work with the COO, so I contacted her to see if I do have to go in. I am scared of contracting Covid 19. I am still waiting for an answer. I guess for me, I don't see the point in having us come in when we have been set-up to work at home from before covid-19.

I also take care of my brother who is very high risk and certainly would die if he gets Covid. He has had 6 strokes, hypertension and diabetes. We are just getting him on disability now.

I have not been to a store except I order online from Walmart and drive into their pick-up area and they put my things in my car. I have ordered food on QVC, which I never did before, and I order some things from Costco. I have kept my self social isolated and now I am scared to death of getting sick. 

I think the boss thinks that I am being silly, she wants to have a cookout, amid the covid. I am very uneasy about this and hope that in light of my co-morbities that they allow me to stay home. Now that I went over her head, I am sure she is angry with me, but at that point, I felt that I had no choice. 

Could you ask your PCP for a note excusing you?  I would think your boss will find it harder to argue with you about it or turn you down if you have that in writing by your doctor.