Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

Calling you "silly?"  Has she been asleep the past four months?

Why go there to socialize when she would put you in a room alone?  What's her real reason for doing this?  

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Hello Halo,

You owe her no explanantion of your medical issues- that is private information.

Have your doctor send a note/email stating you have medical conditions that make you very high risk at being exposed to the virus and you need to stay at home.

Best of luck!!!

@ellaphant 

Yes, I believe that HIPAA laws protect @conlt  from having to reveal her medical issues in any sort of detail to this employer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This new boss has her own ideas concerning her crew and how she wants the "team" to interact. You are a team member but one that has issues that do not affect your ability to do your job. You were hired to work from home and that is what you do.

Stand your ground. Be firm and respectful of her ideas and your need to work from home.

Get a note from your doctor to protect yourself and any recourse from the boss.

Honored Contributor

@conlt    If I were you,  with your health issues, age and taking care of a  family member who has health issues too... I would stick to my plan to NOT come in. Then It comes down to her decision on the matter... and maybe your job on the line.  Can you afford to quit if it comes down to coming in or losing your job? Hopefully she will let you stay home... but that may not be the case.  

I hope she changes her mind and lets you work the meeting from home.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a dayem shame but some people are ignorant and just don't get it.  Speaking for myself I would never allow a boss to bully me into really anything but certainly not something as important as this.  When I read your OP the first thing I thought was Socializing?  Firstly and obviously has she been asleep?  The whole focus of dealing with life during this pandemic has been Social Distancing!   Secondly why can't employees socialize on-line?  You can do those multi picture screens where everyone can talk.  Is it Zoom?  or some other platform?   You do NOT have to see each other in person and certainly not touch each other in person in order to Socialize as she wishes.

Not only HIPAA laws I'm sure you have Labor Laws on your side. Also Discrimination Laws. EOE.  Try contacting your Department of Labor and your AG Office as someone else suggested to review your options should push come to shove.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@conlt  Can you get a picture of how everyone is sitting around in the office with no masks, no social distancing?  That would be your ammunition.  Then you tell your new boss that you are high risk and have a family member at high risk and you were hired to work at home and you would prefer to stay at home.  Then if you have the pictures mentioned above -- I would tell her that no one is following restrictions in the office and you cannot work in that environment.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would retire in four weeks. Since you and your brother are both high risk it would be an easy decision for me. Start collecting social security, make a budget, and stay safe. 

Respected Contributor

I would come up with ways to get to know others from a distance. This would meet the supposed need and be a compromise. Speaking from experience, being in the same proximity doesn't mean you know someone any better. 

Honored Contributor

Her timing is really bad.  Just tell her no you can not and will not put yourself and your brother in jeparody.

Take care, God bless.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

Stay put until there is a proven vaccine