Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would be 'your experience' W/the JM STEAMERS?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Mine sprung a leak and spit boiling hot water out on me.

@Kachina624

Firstly, I believe that each of us are HAPPY for the buyers of the Little Steamers-larger size and mini.

BUT! I read the reviews over 7+ years ago.

I had seen 'product' for my 1st time, then read reason for the reviews.

There had to have been over 150 bad review of either not working after several weeks or as >@Kachina624 told of her experience, being spit on by boiling water...that was the one review at 90% being said, also. Much earlier than when I even knew about this board or much of shop tv.

I know HSN had only (as far I knew ) the larger one. I thought that $12.00 was very inexpensive-as Quality- so I wasn't that interested in a steamer. 

The only summation I can come to is ` JUST LUCK.

I will repeat one more time, each operated fine for 2 months and stopped. So buying 3 more at the same time, I thought one would last for over 1 year or longer. Neither did.

The last one came 8 months ago came with a duo for $29.00 /Lg-mini...the mini lasted the longer period of time. Lg one is still in the box.

Two did spit HOT water down my wrist and in to my side face `and would have burned the skin if continuing for a few seconds longer.

I would not even give those away. *As I mentioned they go back to the main manufactures...NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

There is another brand with a 5 year warranty I had seen from a local store. I know the price was just under $90.00. {Do not have the name off hand.} Local department store.

The price of one mini is $10.00.  Then they asked me, 'do I want to buy insurance for $6.00 for a time window of 2 years'. ?!?!

NOW, that should tell me something!

******Happy steaming for the purchasers that have the better made one.******

ps: The channel always states how many sold but not how many returned. I have nothing negative about the hangers

( bought 4 years ago), other than the covering becoming thin losing the material. 

I believe the designer would like to know, if not already, so she hears mine with steamers in hand to try out for herself......

Honored Contributor

@NAES1.  Wonder if they've ever beven sued due to those things scalding someone?  Surely seems as though they'd be quite a liability.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've tried these 3 times and they were complete junk.

The first one I bought years ago when Joy first came out with them.  All it did was sputter and spit water all over.  Back then, the product had slightly more than a 1 star rating with over 1,000 reviews.  HSN pulled the reviews and put the item under a different number to start over again.

Then I bought it a second time and it started off okay but certainly wasn't the miracle worker Joy claimed.  After a short amount of time, same sputtering and spitting of water.

Then, silly me, bought a third one thinking perhaps the third time was going to be the charm.  It didn't sputter and spit as bad but it still happened periodically.  But the worst part was it didn't remove 1 wrinkle from a simple knit top!  That was the end of it for me.

The only Joy item that has ever been any good that I have tried is her hangers.  Everything else I've purchased has been complete junk.  I just posted in the fashion forum that yet another zipper pull on my Best Beauty Cases just snapped and broke off.  That is the 4th zipper and the ones that aren't broken are all bent.      

Valued Contributor

Wow - I had no idea this was such a problematic item.  I've had mine for 12 or 13 years and have never had any issues.  In fact, I was thinking I'd order a new one just because I thought they'd improved the design.  Guess I better leave well enough alone.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

"you are correct, when [they] first were seen ( I was not on the boards here, then) but I DO absolutely remembered those horrible [steamers of JM] reviews".

I never knew what a review was until I bought one, and HSN asked me from an email, to write a review. That must have been (maybe) 5 years ago. Mine was in the box and not use as yet.

There had to be, as you mentioned, hundreds of reviews `` some nasty remarks. That was the day I Opened the box and tried it out.

It appeared to be okay for one man's over the head shirt, along with 3 long sleeve Tees. I wrote back after 2 weeks and gave 3 stars- __ somewhat heavy to hold looking up while steaming. I posted later on the others that spit hot water, also. I do think that some are made just better than others, depending on who assembles these together. I got a dud maker.

The following week it did okay one more time, after that- no bubbling, no steam but the water was STEAM hot, but no activity.

I always would empty mine to keep the element dry -never used tap water or distilled-.MINERALS!  Using it for under 2 months on a basis of every 6 days, it just started spitting but not to the point that it water ran down my wrist.

***> @LipstickDiva., I don't view you as being silly, more as maybe it was as I've heard, 'A' LEMON.

I also bought 2 more about 2 years later after the reviews were REplaced from the (more than I would be willing to count) USING TAP WATER- 1 star purchase customers, from over page after page. After three, at that time -who wants them, not me!

This year, 8 months ago I bought the single Mini.{ 7 years later}. As I have told the story, it operated ' well '  until exactly 16 days ago and it has been boxed.

I am very aware what little shopping of hsn tv, I know; Joy M. is some creative product inventive person and possibly has a cult following for her items..I just do not know? I am sure she a fine person and many buy her products, as I did. I don't care to know anymore about her or her products, though.

I saw the topic in fashion, as a topic, so I gave my opinion.

As for proving a burn from a steamer costing so little made in C.,  I do not believe that would fly unless it exploded or the wiring went badly.

To me, it is not worth thinking about but hope Quality will return to this country soon, but not that positive. 

I did say her hangers ( I am using 20+) age =around 4 years old are suitable for hanging a satin type gown on with thin string ties or a man's summer shirt,  THAT'S it!

NAES

Honored Contributor

@sharlee wrote:

Wow - I had no idea this was such a problematic item.  I've had mine for 12 or 13 years and have never had any issues.  In fact, I was thinking I'd order a new one just because I thought they'd improved the design.  Guess I better leave well enough alone.

@sharlee

i would go ahead and try a new one.......as i said, i have not had any problems with them......and i have older ones and newer ones. the current set that they have on sale for 19.99 has 1162 (794 five star) total reviews and a 4.3 rating, so overall i would say that that is a big success. they bring these back all the time and they must be selling quite a lot of them. they can also be found at bed, bath, and beyond. if you get it from hsn you have until the end of january to do a return.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sharlee wrote:

@sharlee

i would go ahead and try a new one.......as i said, i have not had any problems with them......and i have older ones and newer ones. the current set that they have on sale for 19.99 has 1162 (794 five star) total reviews and a 4.3 rating, so overall i would say that that is a big success. they bring these back all the time and they must be selling quite a lot of them. they can also be found at bed, bath, and beyond. if you get it from hsn you have until the end of january to do a return.

A very good suggestion; thanks!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien