Honored Contributor

Re: What will your next car be…Hybrid? Gas? Electric?

[ Edited ]

Hybrids have been around a long time. My sister has had her Prius for over a decade. She gets around 50 MPG.

Valued Contributor

It seems like a lot of people on this thread do not understand how hybrid vehicles operate. They do not need to be plugged in to charge. Electric vehicles do but do not need to be charged for hours on end. The federal government’s fleet is almost entirely hybrid and electric vehicles. The process has been ongoing for over a decade. It saves on fuel costs thereby saving taxpayers money. When it’s time to replace vehicles they are auctioned off. Most of the proceeds are used to buy the replacement vehicles. They sell like hotcakes. There is a market for hybrid and electric vehicles. Even Ford has an all electric F-150. It is a beast of a truck. My next car will be a hybrid or an EV.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone for your responses.  It is a topic of great interest to me as DH will soon be replacing his vehicle.  We went to our dealer a couple of weeks ago and I was actually disheartened by what I learned.

This is where we are at.  We live in Nova Scotia, east coast of Canada.  We get real winters.  The salesman at our dealer did nothing to turn us to electric.  Even if that is what we wanted, there are none available without a long wait.  We live 25 minutes outside the city so we do mainly highway driving.  The advantage of a hybrid is less because of how we drive.  There is little to no infrastructure to support electric vehicles.  We take long driving trips and stopping to charge every couple of hours is unattractive.

I do understand that you do not have to charge a hybrid which I didn't know until we visited the dealer.  I am reluctant to be the first user of new technology in a purchase as expensive as a new vehicle.  How are we going to deal with expired batteries?  Where is the infrastructure?  What happens in the event of a serious accident and/or a road closure?  My road was closed for six hours yesterday due to a serious three vehicle pileup.  Would I be stuck?  In winter, roads are salted and sanded.  How does this affect the battery?  What happens when every one is charging their vehicle?  Will we suffer overload on the grid?

Canada has made the same commitment re 2035.  Although it is nothing to be proud of, Canada has never achieved the green commitments and I think 2035 will be no exception.  The cost of new vehicles is out of sight.  

I believe the switch is well intentioned but not well thought out.  The demographic is an aging one.  I don't think this will be an easy sell by any stretch.  Our next vehicle will now probably be further away since we have no confidence in the new technology.

Thank you everyone for your input.  It is a challenging issue for sure.  LM

PS, wanted to add that our city/province is experiencing significant population growth.  During COVID we saw big growth as people are moving out of larger metropolitan areas.  Housing, access to medical care, rising gas prices made worse by increasing taxes, are all issues.  Rental affordability is an issue.  The transit system is inadequate to serve the growing population.  I am sure many of you are facing similar challenges.  It is difficult for young people entering the job market.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your thread, @Lilysmom1 ,  giving scope to a wide array of people airing their real and varied concerns about this push.  Despite current problems, I hope you are experiencing a typically beautiful Nova Scotia spring...  

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
So much misunderstanding of hybrids.

Hybrid vehicles do not require a charging station. The battery recharges by driving and power switches between gas and the battery.

Federal law requires 8 year 100,000 mile battery warranty.

CA requires 10 year 150,000 miles.

@bikerbabe 
Well that last sentence is encouraging. My older car that I got rid of last year, which I purchased new, had over 9 years on it and I was 200,000+ miles on it. 

Honored Contributor

Will hybrids be allowed after 2035 since they are gas powered?

I'm in a state that is part of the ban.  We just bought a new car about 2 weeks ago---in a neighboring state.  

I'm wondering if we did that again, after the ban, they won't let us register it in our (new) state?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I'm in a state that is part of the ban.  We just bought a new car about 2 weeks ago---in a neighboring state.  

I'm wondering if we did that again, after the ban, they won't let us register it in our (new) state?

Hopefully you'll get better leadership and it'll be a non issue.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

Google the rules for your state. In California, it's just that they will stop selling them in 2035. All gas powered cars will still be allowed on the roads. Not sure how the registration will work. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

Right now I'm leasing a 2020 Honda HRV. My lease is up in a few months and I'm thinking of just buying the car.

I just don't like the idea of spending a lot of time charging a car. What happens in the event of an evacuation?  As an example, a hurricane is coming to Florida...people in the Keys are scrambling to leave the single lane highway and fueling up their cars.  How will that go when everyone would need to spend significant time charging them?

On a more everyday note, I can't imagine everyone charging up their cars overnight.  How would that work on the electric grid?  What about people who live in apartments?

I don't think in the long run they are really much better for the environment. Since they need to be charged  most electricity comes from fossil fuels.  The batteries for the cars are not environmentally friendly and only last so many years before they need to be replaced which can cost many thousands of dollars.  Where to the old batteries go?

I don't understand the push for them.

@haddon9 You have posed many questions that are not being answered because they cannot be answered about EVs...only gas for me!  I drive a 2001 Honda Civic, manual transmission with less than 30K mileage.  This vehicle has only required regular routine maintenance and my mechanic checks this vehicle once a year for any potential problems...been a great vehicle and will keep.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My nephew and his wife bought a Tesla and a Rivian SUV. Both impressive, but when I asked how long the battery lasts, he said both companies said the battery lasts at least 20 years.
No possible way! They also cost at least 20K plus the cost of disposal ( which hasn't  been addressed directly by any reports I have seen.) and installation, which is also expensive. It involves more than plugging it in. 
Am just trying to find a gas car I can afford.

My family member ordered his Rivian a year ago and has had it about three months now. Loves it, but it was $119,000, plus the chargers that must be installed only by their workers. The Tesla was $50k and there was no waiting list since they are making so many of them. They bought the Tesla 2 years ago. They really like it but the learning curve was almost flat since he is a reall tech guy and works in the tech industry. 
Tesla, Ford, Honda, and some others will no longer be putting AM radio tuners in their electric cars due to static it causes when it interferes with the battery or something. Seems rather lame to me that they can't fix a problem like that. Spend all that money and you can't listen to pork belly prices on the farm report?