Esteemed Contributor

Re: What will your next car be…Hybrid? Gas? Electric?

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@Lilysmom1   The  Phoenix metropolidan area has experienced tremendous population growth over the past 20 years....(now around 4.4 MILLION)...but I have not seen even ONE  public charging station in my neighborhood.

Besides......I love my car, and want to be buried in it.    (I heard you can do that in Texas)    !!!!!!      di

I too live in a Phoenix suburb of Peoria and the only time I've seen a public charging station is at the Ulta parking lot in Peoria. I've seen a few at a couple of hotels but not many, mostly onesies twosies . Plus who wants an electric car when the a/c will drain your battery quickly or die in the in the heat. Gas for me too. And what happens when the battery dies and they suddenly stop making one that will fit? (It's happened)  I'm stuck with a pile of useless metal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Lilysmom1   The  Phoenix metropolidan area has experienced tremendous population growth over the past 20 years....(now around 4.4 MILLION)...but I have not seen even ONE  public charging station in my neighborhood.

Besides......I love my car, and want to be buried in it.    (I heard you can do that in Texas)    !!!!!!      di

I too live in a Phoenix suburb of Peoria and the only time I've seen a public charging station is at the Ulta parking lot in Peoria. I've seen a few at a couple of hotels but not many.mostly onesies twosies . Plus who wants an electric car when the a/c will drain your battery quickly or die in the in the heat.

@Meowingkitty     I am in the Mountain Preserve on the East Side.....it's pretty "old" around here....and I don't see any "modern" amenities in the near future.   Even the Paradise Valley Mall has been bulldozed.   "Lack of business".     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

My current car is over 19 years old,  so my plan is to purchase a new one within the next couple of years.

It will be gas, although I will consider a hybrid depending upon two factors. First, what the additional price will be. Second, how much gas will the hybrid actually save me. If it's only a difference of 5 or 10 MPG, it's not really worth the extra initial expense.

I will not consider an electric car at all. The general 200 mile range for a charge is not comfortable for me. Gas stations are much easier to find than public charging stations, especially in suburban areas. The necessity of sitting for the amount of time it takes to fully charge an electric car in the middle of going somewhere is not something I'm willing to do. 

Honored Contributor

Hubbs says doesn't think we could afford new battery for the e.v.

Respected Contributor

I HATE TO BUY CARS!!! But to answer the question, I will not be buying anything electric...not even a consideration. 

But the time has come, it seems, for the dirty deed...car shopping. 😩 I have an expensive car but it is close to fifteen years old and every time it even hiccups now it costs a fortune to fix! And it's been hiccuping and belching a lot lately. Kinda reminds me of my teeth. Most of my life did not have that many issues but now my teeth are giving up the ghost and they're costing me an arm and a leg!!!

Who knows...before long I may be toothless and riding a bicycle for transportation. 😲  

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

We'll be keeping the car we have, just like the stove we'll be keeping.  

@qualitygal    I'm "with you".     Have had both a gas stove AND gas heat most of my life.     If it was "dangerous", I'd be dead by now (!!)

Exactly!  Had gas stoves and gas heat most of my life and am alive to tell the tale!!  Have an electric stove now and hate it.  If we had to buy a car, which fortunately we do not, it would be a hybrid if we could afford it--LOL!!

I don't understand this push for electric everything.  Aren't there enough problems with the power grid already??

Honored Contributor

I gave up my beater car in 2021--and am not going to replace it with any car. I hate driving, always have. And the cost of insurance and gas,  upkeep and repairs and the idiots and dangerous drivers out there are all very valid reasons I am happy with my decision.

Esteemed Contributor

The hubs has a hybrid and adores it! I still love my car, or regular Nissan gas powered car. But on the road, I may opt for a hybrid myself. 

Honored Contributor

gasoline, for the rest of my life.

i dont see myself owning any other type of vehicle other than a gasoline powered one.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

If you are east of the Mississippi, there will probably be adequate charging stations along highways. New technology is in the works, so plugging a car into an outlet will not always be the way to charge a car.

For those of us in the more rural areas in the western half of the country, the situation isn't as easily resolved. I think a hybrid would be a wiser choice for longer trips. Run on electric but in case of no charging facilities switch to gas.