Honored Contributor

Re: What were the boys in Thailand doing in the cave???

@Mj12 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

And I wonder if the anxiety level is the main concern,

they could relax/reduce heart rate through hypnosis and/or

a controlled medication...pulling the child along w/ the current,

while relaxed, so swimming technique wouldn’t be needed.

🤔

Yes this.  I heard this on the radio yesterday when a US former Navy Seal was interviewed.  He said likely they would all ultimately very likely need to be sedated with a hood over their heads (so they won't mess with the breathing apparatus) while they are guided out.  Such a terrifying image.

Wow!  I didn’t hear this! I was just thinking about it last night

during my meditation. Makes sense though...but they would need 

to be monitored even more if anything is altered. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is going to have to be a delicately calibrated extraction.  I do hope that many sources are contributing ideas for a workable solution.  As the late astronaut Eugene Cernan said about finding a successful way to get to Mars, "No idea is a crazy idea."  You put everything out there and then make the safest, best idea happen.  Easier said than done, of course.

These poor youngsters, coach as well as the family and friends of the youngsters: Rising anxiety levels will be a major concern for all.  

This soccer team needs all our prayers -- or good and positive thoughts, if that is your approach -- to get out of there alive.

Honored Contributor

It is so sad that now the life of a former Thai navy SEAL has been lost. These rescue workers are at such a high risk, I fear for them. I know they are really trying hard, but their job is so difficult. 

Honored Contributor

Elon Musk is reportedly sending technical engineers to the site.

Honored Contributor

Another report that was mentioned...the boys are reported hearing

roosters crowing & dogs barking.

Could this be true or is it just a lack oxygen making them imagine things? 

I fear the latter.

Honored Contributor

Authorities now feel pressed to move quickly; they believe they "have a limited amount of time" to rescue the boys. 

MAE SAI, Thailand -- Thai authorities overseeing the rescue operation for 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped in a flooded cave in the country's north said they have a "limited amount of time" to get them out, as they raced Friday against worsening weather and lowered oxygen levels in the underground complex.

The massive operation inside and around Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai province suffered its first fatality Friday when a former Thai navy SEAL passed out underwater on an overnight mission and was unable to be revived.

"We can no longer wait for all conditions (to be ready) because circumstances are pressuring us," Thai SEAL commander Arpakorn Yookongkaew told a news conference. "We originally thought the boys can stay safe inside the cave for quite some time but circumstances have changed. We have limited amount of time."

The oxygen levels inside the cave were getting lower because of all the workers inside, and authorities on Friday were trying to install a 3-mile-long oxygen tube to pump in air, CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy reports. 

A senior army commander, Maj. Gen. Chalongchai Chaiyakam, said that the most pressing mission was to provide the oxygen line to reach the kids, who are stuck deep in the complex but are being looked after by four SEALs, including a medic. He said the oxygen line was also tied to a telephone line that would provide a channel of communication for the team.

Esteemed Contributor

Praying for them to be out on Saturday.

Wish they would have been rescued already.

They have received letters from their parents.

So sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I still don't understand that no common sense was used. Don't they have weather reports? This isn't the first year for monsoons to occur, so wouldn't you kinda be expecting it? I don't mean to be rude, but these aren't hard decisions to make.

@wishmoon

The first thing I thought of was the weather reports.   That coach is an IDIOT.  

What I would like to know is how is it possible that a dozen boys are out hiking and they state that NONE of them know how to swim!   How is this even possible?   

Sorry, but I point a little blame at the parents with this one.   There are Life Skills .... and Survival Skills ....   that children should be taught, regardless of what country the parents live in.   

Personally, I don't know anyone who didn't know how to swim by the age of 12.   It's an important skill!

------------------

I agree with all your points!!  But, I know several adults that do not know how to swim!!  They either are/were scared of water, had no desire to learn  or never had the opportunity! 

It is unbelievable and I am/was amazed. Yet all these people have gone thru life without ever swimming!

I grew up on Long Island, and nearly everyone I knew went to day camp or sleepaway camp where we learned to swim.  Swimming was also a required part of our Physical Education program in my high school.  Most of us spent a lot of time at the beach and in pools.  I've lived near water practically my entire life, but I know people of all ages who don't know how to swim.

Yes, it's a vital skill.   But not everyone has it, even people who grew up at the beach, went to camp, etc.  Another culture and another country makes a big difference too. 

Honored Contributor

There are plenty of adults who do not know how to swim or do so very poorly. There are many reasons including a fear of water. It’s really inappropriate to judge and criticize. I can barely swim and I sink whenever I try to tread water.
Esteemed Contributor

I hope and pray they can get them out of this cave. It doesn't look good now that a rescuer died who was experienced AND with more rain coming soon! I am no pro, but I wonder whey they didn't drill from the top or something. I don't see how they will survive when more rain comes.

Every time I see this on tv my claustrophobia clicks in. We have a cave not far from here that people travel from all over to go in. I have been in it as a kid (as a Campfire GIrl). My husband wanted to go in it 10 years ago, and i said no way am I going in the cave! (even though I am sure it is still safe), I just don't trust it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles