Honored Contributor

Re: What were the boys in Thailand doing in the cave???

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I still don't understand that no common sense was used. Don't they have weather reports? This isn't the first year for monsoons to occur, so wouldn't you kinda be expecting it? I don't mean to be rude, but these aren't hard decisions to make.

@wishmoon

The first thing I thought of was the weather reports.   That coach is an IDIOT.  

What I would like to know is how is it possible that a dozen boys are out hiking and they state that NONE of them know how to swim!   How is this even possible?   

Sorry, but I point a little blame at the parents with this one.   There are Life Skills .... and Survival Skills ....   that children should be taught, regardless of what country the parents live in.   

Personally, I don't know anyone who didn't know how to swim by the age of 12.   It's an important skill!

------------------

I agree with all your points!!  But, I know several adults that do not know how to swim!!  They either are/were scared of water, had no desire to learn  or never had the opportunity! 

It is unbelievable and I am/was amazed. Yet all these people have gone thru life without ever swimming!

I'm 63 years old and I don't know how to swim.  

My mom had signed us up for lessons and on the first day when the instructor shoved my head down under the water I was done.

(Slooooooowly raising hand.....)

I grew up on a farm so summer time meant more chores.

Didn't have the luxury of taking afternoons off to learn to swim. 

Life skill?  58 yrs & counting of not needing to know how.

I have a hunch most drownings are people who do have a sense

of knowing how to swim..but at some point, when they’re looking

Death in the face, fear/emotion overrode that skill.

Trusted Contributor

I believe that exhaustion plays a big role in many drownings, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom - that's kind of how I feel.  My life skill is knowing enough not to go into the ocean or a lake or the deep end of a pool.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I still don't understand that no common sense was used. Don't they have weather reports? This isn't the first year for monsoons to occur, so wouldn't you kinda be expecting it? I don't mean to be rude, but these aren't hard decisions to make.

@wishmoon

What I would like to know is how is it possible that a dozen boys are out hiking and they state that NONE of them know how to swim!   How is this even possible?   

Sorry, but I point a little blame at the parents with this one.   There are Life Skills .... and Survival Skills ....   that children should be taught, regardless of what country the parents live in.   

Personally, I don't know anyone who didn't know how to swim by the age of 12.   It's an important skill!

------------------

I agree with all your points!!  But, I know several adults that do not know how to swim!!  They either are/were scared of water, had no desire to learn  or never had the opportunity! 

It is unbelievable and I am/was amazed. Yet all these people have gone thru life without ever swimming!

My mom had signed us up for lessons and on the first day when the instructor shoved my head down under the water I was done.

(Slooooooowly raising hand.....)

I grew up on a farm so summer time meant more chores.

Didn't have the luxury of taking afternoons off to learn to swim. 

Life skill?  58 yrs & counting of not needing to know how.

I have a hunch most drownings are people who do have a sense

of knowing how to swim..but at some point, when they’re looking

Death in the face, fear/emotion overrode that skill.

Unfortunatly that is often not the case.  Knowing how to swim allows a person to remain calm and survive.  One of the first things you learn is how to float.  The simple act of floating will allow a person to conserve energy, calm down and manuver to safety. Of course if you are not confident in your skills or other factors are taking place, anything can happen

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

@wishmoon

------------------

My dad's sister lived her entire life not knowing how to swim. She was terribly afraid of water. She and my dad grew up in the same place, but he learned to swim, and she didn't. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candyagain wrote:

I've always wondered why instead of fighting the water and wearing oneself out, a person in trouble doesn't just turn on his or her back and float.

Honored Contributor

I fear this is not going to end well, still praying.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Even if all of the boys and the coach could swim, this situation requires them to swim through a very tight tube as I understand it.  

I did see a graphic of a possible place to place to drill down one half mile into the cave.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

I've always wondered why instead of fighting the water and wearing oneself out, a person in trouble doesn't just turn on his or her back and float.

I can bob like a float for hours and love the water.  My dad and oldest son do not float like that but start sinking.  I made sure my son could tread water but he would tire eventually.  Hypothermia might be an issue, too.

Honored Contributor

Is it more of a claustrophobic/anxiety condition vs

knowing how to swim?  I heard (radio) the divers could

still guide them by their back, if need be. 

But the mouthpiece from the oxygen tank & no visibility

are the conditions which could freak out the most

experienced swimmers.