Honored Contributor

Re: What were the boys in Thailand doing in the cave???

Sounds like a story out of the tabloid magazines.

Trusted Contributor

I hate water and don't know how to swim well but if my child was planning to go on a hike where heavy rains could occur, I'd tell the kid he'd have to skip this one trip. You don't think for the moment, you plan ahead thinking of the "what-ifs". 

Honored Contributor

We have to be able to assemble the greatest minds out there and figure out how to retrofit something already in existence that can get in and get them out, even if it's one at a time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read they are getting a skype type of thing for the parents-children. The kids allegedly haven't eaten for 10 days.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

This situation reminds me of those miners in South America who were trapped underground so long, remember?  I hope this story has a happy outcome like that one. Waiting until October sounds unthinkable. 

@Another new name Sue  Yes, in Chile.  One of those miners who had been trapped has been shown in a video offering support for them to hang in there.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Another new name Sue wrote:

This situation reminds me of those miners in South America who were trapped underground so long, remember?  I hope this story has a happy outcome like that one. Waiting until October sounds unthinkable. 

@Another new name Sue  Yes, in Chile.  One of those miners who had been trapped has been shown in a video offering support for them to hang in there.

I think that the way those miners were removed will have to be the way they remove these boys. They drilled down an opening they found way, way above and they brought each miner up one at a time in a type of capsule. The SCUBA solution in water with no visibility and boys who can't swim, let alone deal with the gear is a recipe for disaster. The miners were considered a lost cause, but a miracle happened. I hope this happens for the boys too.

Honored Contributor

When they show the map of how far down they are ... 1/2 mile .... and how far in they are  .... 3 miles ..... I keep thinking it might be faster to just drill a hole straight down to get them!

I still can't believe none of those kids were taught how to swim ..... how sad.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner

As Sooner said, this is not the United States. Guidelines and priorities are different as far as small group leadership of kids, importance of swimming lessons, etc.  

As for the group leader, 25 may be an adult but some at that age still have a lot to learn.  And people of all ages make mistakes. No doubt he wishes he could have a “do over” for that day. They will get out; it’s gonna take some time. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

When they show the map of how far down they are ... 1/2 mile .... and how far in they are  .... 3 miles ..... I keep thinking it might be faster to just drill a hole straight down to get them!

I still can't believe none of those kids were taught how to swim ..... how sad.

If you live in the "fly over" part of the US as I do, you might know a lot of people who don't know how to swim.  We don't have a lot of lakes or rivers in the part of OK I live in.  Also, lots of people are poor and don't vacation as such or have access to public pools in rural areas.  So it isn't that unusual for kids not to learn to swim.

Also, it is not the US, so people probably let their kids pay and go on outings with others more readily than we would here.  They probably don't have as many lawyers and laws and concerns about safety as we do.  

They probably don't have as much access to weather reports either, or maybe think about that as much as in this country.

that all being said, how on earth someone took these kids that far into a cave in the monsoon season is beyond comprehension.  You think maybe the person was somehow disturbed or had some issues?  Doesn't sound like a logical person at all to me. Nothing about it make any sense.

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I still don't understand that no common sense was used. Don't they have weather reports? This isn't the first year for monsoons to occur, so wouldn't you kinda be expecting it? I don't mean to be rude, but these aren't hard decisions to make.

@wishmoon

The first thing I thought of was the weather reports.   That coach is an IDIOT.  

What I would like to know is how is it possible that a dozen boys are out hiking and they state that NONE of them know how to swim!   How is this even possible?   

Sorry, but I point a little blame at the parents with this one.   There are Life Skills .... and Survival Skills ....   that children should be taught, regardless of what country the parents live in.   

Personally, I don't know anyone who didn't know how to swim by the age of 12.   It's an important skill!

------------------

I agree with all your points!!  But, I know several adults that do not know how to swim!!  They either are/were scared of water, had no desire to learn  or never had the opportunity! 

It is unbelievable and I am/was amazed. Yet all these people have gone thru life without ever swimming!

I'm 63 years old and I don't know how to swim.  

My mom had signed us up for lessons and on the first day when the instructor shoved my head down under the water I was done.