Esteemed Contributor

Re: What were the boys in Thailand doing in the cave???

It looked like fun so they went exploring. Then the heavy rains came down and they were trapped.         The same is done in TN USA - my niece's 2 sons did it often when they were teenagers.  It's a boy thing.

Respected Contributor

The story I read...it's an initiation, kids head to this spot in the cave go back & forth through the water then write their name on the cave wall. While they were inside the cave flooded & they became trapped. Hope they get them out tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 tonight? They’re saying it could be weeks....even months before they might get them out. I don’t understand that either. Seems like some engineering brainpower could be used for a quicker solution!

Honored Contributor

IMO this story don't make any sense.

Respected Contributor

I read that it was a team outing and they were inside the cave exploring when a sustained downpour flooded the cave forcing the team to go deeper into the cave to find dry ground.  The next 3-4 months is monsoon season so the cave will remain flooded until monsoon season is over and the water recedes. 

Respected Contributor

Oh darn, thought I heard encouraging news this morning....talk about if they kids were strong enough they would try to scuba out. I'm volunteering today so haven't kept up with the news, Thanks for the update @Goldengate8361

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal

Thanks for your explanation.  I had asked this question on another thread.

I'm still wondering why they just didn't exit the cave as soon as the rain started knowing it was possibly going to flood.

Why continue to go deeper and deeper?  From what I've read, many passages are very narrow, so it seems they would have had a difficult time getting IN, now it is impossible to get OUT.  

I appreciate your info, however, and will try to read up on it a bit more.

Edited to Add -- I did just read that there was some "initiation rite" to scratching their names inside the tunnel, 2.5 miles in. And that is how they got trapped.

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter.  However, if true, the coach will be held accountable.

It's sad and frightening.  I pray they all are able to get out safely.  Such a terrible ordeal.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal I appreciate you giving an overview of their ordeal. I will continue to pray for their safe return and for their rescuers as well. 🙏🏻

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal

Thanks for bringing us up to date.  Such an unfortunate set of circumstances.  The boys look so thin and frail.  Sending prayers their way.   

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@cancun08

I am seeing articles stating the same thing.