Honored Contributor

Re: What was your splurge item, and practical item you have bought off tv?

@Sunshine&rainbows wrote:

@cotton4me wrote:

My most useful/practical purchase was/is the Kuhn Rikon Ultimate Can Opener (item # K18779).  It's more sanitary then a regular can opener and easy to use. 

I can't think of a splurge item at the moment since I'm fairly practical.  I'll keep thinking.  

@cotton4me

I wanted to buy that can opener!

I wonder if I can buy it locally?

I don't know if you can buy it locally.  I bought mine from Amazon because it was cheaper than QVC and had free shipping.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I have recently came across some different shopping channels.

I would like to buy some of what I have seen, but not sure of the quality of items on  shopping channels. That saying you get what you pay for comes to mind.

I also would like to know what is the most useful or practical purchase you have made, besides your splurge item off the shopping channels?

I would say that 99.5% of all my purchases are "practical" and also useful. My splurge? I did buy a set of 2 remote control helicopters to play with to challenge my wife to a copter fight. So far she hasn't used them, but she really hasn't had time.

I've never in my life been one to splurge on myself. I like doing that for my wife and mother-in-law. They enjoy just getting things from me now and then. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@cotton4me

I have a bed bath & beyond near me!

Thank you, I will check that out, I would like to walk around the store and browse I haven't  been there for awhile.

Super Contributor

MIMA wrote:

I love my air fryer from qvc and my rice cooker (cooks way more than rice) from HSN>  Those are practical.

I haven't splurged on items from a shopping channel in quite a while.

I did splurge on some makeup recently when the Laura Geller site had a big sale.  I haven't gotten my stuff yet.

When I spurge such as purses or makeup or clothes, I usually buy directly from their sites such as Brahmin, Landsend and Laura Geller. 

P.S.  I also buy a lot from Amazon and Ebay.

@mima

I cook my fries in the oven, I wonder if it taste better in the air fryer? Can you cook chicken and cheese sticks and such too?

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Bose vs Beats! Not trying to make a fashion  statement at that price.  Just want my husband to have clear sound.

At first I couldn't understand how someone could pay that much for a purse, but if you get cost per wear and it last years it makes sense! 

Super Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Practical items:  my Dyson vacuum cleaner and Rug Doctor rug cleaners; HSN, the vitamins I take.

Splurges:  Just on QVC...the gold and gemstone jewelry.  I have had to return some disappointments, but the items I have kept are a joy to wear. 

At work last week, I wore some tiny Italian 18K flower earrings, leverbacks, and was remembering how I purchased them on Last Clicks back when there was a poster here (or maybe on the Jewelry Board) who would send a hint that many new items had been added. 

Those old Last Clicks items were a steal and are still among my favorite items.

I can't remember the name of the poster who used to list Last Clicks new entries by item number--can anyone else remember her posts?

I missed the Gold event last week but purchased several items on Saturday that were still at the sale prices.  Can't wait to get them. 

I also have a weakness for Bare Escentuals cosmetics and Philosophy 3-in-1s, though I never use them as a shampoo, only as a shower gel.  Kiehl's Grapefruit gel, though, is better than the Phil. product these days--the quality and variety of the 3-in-1s has gone downhill in the last two years.

@Burnsite

Dyson seems to be more popular than Sharke. I take drug store vitamins, I hope they're working?!

I have checked out "as is" items.

I do like jewelry a lot, I do not seem to get to wear what I have now!

Bare Minerals is what I like to use.

I went to Nordstroms years ago and bought some Keihl's.

Honored Contributor

Treadmill from HSN. It turned out to be very useful. I hang my dirty laundry on it until I do the laundry.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I have recently came across some different shopping channels.

I would like to buy some of what I have seen, but not sure of the quality of items on  shopping channels. That saying you get what you pay for comes to mind.

I also would like to know what is the most useful or practical purchase you have made, besides your splurge item off the shopping channels?

I would say that 99.5% of all my purchases are "practical" and also useful. My splurge? I did buy a set of 2 remote control helicopters to play with to challenge my wife to a copter fight. So far she hasn't used them, but she really hasn't had time.

I've never in my life been one to splurge on myself. I like doing that for my wife and mother-in-law. They enjoy just getting things from me now and then. 

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn 

I wish I would of thought about the helicopters at Christmas time, it would of been a great fun for grandson and I to go to the park and fly them! Except there is a lot of trees at the parks here.

You have some lucky ladies in your life, such a gentlemen you are and so thoughtful, to splurge on them.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima wrote:

I love my air fryer from qvc and my rice cooker (cooks way more than rice) from HSN>  Those are practical.

I haven't splurged on items from a shopping channel in quite a while.

I did splurge on some makeup recently when the Laura Geller site had a big sale.  I haven't gotten my stuff yet.

When I spurge such as purses or makeup or clothes, I usually buy directly from their sites such as Brahmin, Landsend and Laura Geller. 

P.S.  I also buy a lot from Amazon and Ebay.

@mima

I cook my fries in the oven, I wonder if it taste better in the air fryer? Can you cook chicken and cheese sticks and such too?

@sunshine&rainbows Yes, I used to cook my fries in the oven but they do taste much better in the air fryer.  You can cook most things in the air fryer that are made for oven-frying and the taste is superior.

I even cooked turkey mignons in the air fryer and those are made for grilling.  They came out really tender and moist.

I really love the air fryer, but it does an exceptional job on fries.  I'm sure you could "fry" cheese sticks too.  I just can't eat dairy so I haven't tried it.

Hope that helps.

Super Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

Treadmill from HSN. It turned out to be very useful. I hang my dirty laundry on it until I do the laundry.

@brewhaha

Got a good chuckle out of me! I bet you have burned rubber on that thing!