Super Contributor

Re: What was your splurge item, and practical item you have bought off tv?

@LyndaGee wrote:

I used to splurge a lot on the jewelry.  Not sorry I did, snce gold prices have increased.

The practical items I have purchased from QVC include cookware, Northern Nights bedding. The only things I am sorry about are the gimicky things (like that pasta cooker), which didn't live up to the hype.

@LyndaGee

Sounds like northern nights is popular item.

I really like my laradorite ring I bought off hsn.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine&rainbows wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Sounds like you are a new shopping channel buyer.  To me, over the years product quality has gotten worse, prices higher.  That's why I stopped buying from these channels.  I buy locally so I don't have to pay shipping costs and return fees if items are not up to my liking. 

@hoosieroriginal

I agree with you on buying locally and supporting private businesses.

I wonder with all the stores that have closed over the years is because of purchases made off the Internet and TV.

Not sure how it happen but I found the q then hsn at a low point in my life? I have bought 10 items over the 2 yrs since I discovered the two channels.

My one splurge, is a labradorite ring, my practical a few items of clothing, not much really. Sorta over it now.

@sunshine&rainbows - Oh I think it has been proven that the brick and morter stores are closing because of all the online buying - no doubt. 

Super Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

I'd have to answer my Vitamix was both my splurge and practical item!

@ctinaw
What do you use it for the most?
Honored Contributor

It seems like you're separating splurge items and practical items and assuming they can't be both. I have a lot of QVC items that are both:

• Dyson vacuum
  • Lenox flatware
  • Temp-tations dishes
  • Ninja multicooker
  • Bose Soundlink speaker

I got the Dyson on clearance. Before I bought it, I checked the local Target and they had the same item for $100 more.

The Lenox Flatware and the Temp-tations dishes both replaced cheap and unmatched sets of dishes and flatware. They were a splurge because I could have bought cheap replacements, but it's nice to have something I really enjoy AND use every day. My old sets were functional, but they brought me no joy. The Ninja Multicooker I use often and would have been more of a splurge if I didn't use it, but as of now, I use it more often that my stove or oven. The Bose Soundlink is my second bluetooth speaker and I got it on sale before Christmas. It's a splurge because eI already have a very good bluetooth speaker, but I was carrying that one from one room to another and now I have the Bose and can leave each in the rooms they are used most often.

All of my jewelry is a splurge. My Dooney bags are splurges, even though I carry one with me every day.

I think what you really want to know about might be regrets. A regret doesn't have to be a splurge, it can be an item you thought would be practical and wasn't or an item that WAS a splurge and didn't work out, so it's just a waste. I have those, too. Almost every foundation I've bought on QVC has been a color that didn't match me, so I stopped buying foundations from QVC unless I've tried them in person. I spend too much money stockpiling beauty products, which is also a waste. Yes, they were a great deal and I WILL use them, but right now they take up a lot of space. I need to be better about that.

Respected Contributor

Practical=a Black and Decker re-chargable 18V hand vac, use it daily. From QVC.

Splurge=years ago a diamond Art Deco ring from that I LOVE from HSN. Get compliments everyday on it.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

I splurge on philosophy items.  I buy northern nights for practical.

@GCR18

I always wondered about philosophy products, just a little to expensive for me right now, they seem to have a big following.

Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

It seems like you're separating splurge items and practical items and assuming they can't be both. I have a lot of QVC items that are both:

• Dyson vacuum
  • Lenox flatware
  • Temp-tations dishes
  • Ninja multicooker
  • Bose Soundlink speaker

I got the Dyson on clearance. Before I bought it, I checked the local Target and they had the same item for $100 more.

The Lenox Flatware and the Temp-tations dishes both replaced cheap and unmatched sets of dishes and flatware. They were a splurge because I could have bought cheap replacements, but it's nice to have something I really enjoy AND use every day. My old sets were functional, but they brought me no joy. The Ninja Multicooker I use often and would have been more of a splurge if I didn't use it, but as of now, I use it more often that my stove or oven. The Bose Soundlink is my second bluetooth speaker and I got it on sale before Christmas. It's a splurge because eI already have a very good bluetooth speaker, but I was carrying that one from one room to another and now I have the Bose and can leave each in the rooms they are used most often.

All of my jewelry is a splurge. My Dooney bags are splurges, even though I carry one with me every day.

I think what you really want to know about might be regrets. A regret doesn't have to be a splurge, it can be an item you thought would be practical and wasn't or an item that WAS a splurge and didn't work out, so it's just a waste. I have those, too. Almost every foundation I've bought on QVC has been a color that didn't match me, so I stopped buying foundations from QVC unless I've tried them in person. I spend too much money stockpiling beauty products, which is also a waste. Yes, they were a great deal and I WILL use them, but right now they take up a lot of space. I need to be better about that.

@ChynnaBlue

No what I meant by splurge, is buying something extravagant, to spend money freely with no remorse.

I would like to own a Dooney and beats headphone.

Esteemed Contributor

Over the years I've made a number of purchases that at the time were splurges but proved to be very practical.  The NuWave oven,  Ninja 4-in-1 and RangeMate cookware are among my favorite splurges turned practical.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

My favorite practical purchases were an Origami kitchen cart and a Panasonic corded/cordless call blocking set.  Worth every penny.

I'm not much of a splurge buyer.

Denise
Super Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

Practical=a Black and Decker re-chargable 18V hand vac, use it daily. From QVC.

Splurge=years ago a diamond Art Deco ring from that I LOVE from HSN. Get compliments everyday on it.

@Jacie

Good to hear about a reliable hand vac!

Love Art Deco so pretty and unique.