Super Contributor

What was your splurge item, and practical item you have bought off tv?

I have recently came across some different shopping channels.

I would like to buy some of what I have seen, but not sure of the quality of items on  shopping channels. That saying you get what you pay for comes to mind.

I also would like to know what is the most useful or practical purchase you have made, besides your splurge item off the shopping channels?

Seems like watching these channels can be addicting when you first discover them, and I want to buy something, then after you watch for awhile it appears to be all the same products and discounts.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others.

Respected Contributor

Re: What was your splurge item, and practical item you have bought off tv?

Sounds like you are a new shopping channel buyer.  To me, over the years product quality has gotten worse, prices higher.  That's why I stopped buying from these channels.  I buy locally so I don't have to pay shipping costs and return fees if items are not up to my liking. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Sounds like you are a new shopping channel buyer.  To me, over the years product quality has gotten worse, prices higher.  That's why I stopped buying from these channels.  I buy locally so I don't have to pay shipping costs and return fees if items are not up to my liking. 

I agree.  I have never bought anthing practical from a TV shopping channel.

Honored Contributor

I splurge on philosophy items.  I buy northern nights for practical.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My most useful/practical purchase was/is the Kuhn Rikon Ultimate Can Opener (item # K18779).  It's more sanitary than regular can openers.  Plus it's safer because when it removes the lid there are  no sharp edges and it's easy to use.   

I can't think of a splurge item at the moment since I'm fairly practical.  I'll keep thinking.  

Respected Contributor

I used to splurge a lot on the jewelry.  Not sorry I did, snce gold prices have increased.

The practical items I have purchased from QVC include cookware, Northern Nights bedding. The only things I am sorry about are the gimicky things (like that pasta cooker), which didn't live up to the hype.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a Call Blocker from HSN - splurge item and practical item.  . 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

hoosieroriginal wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

I agree with you on buying locally and supporting private businesses.

I wonder with all the stores that have closed over the years is because of purchases made off the Internet and TV.

Not sure how it happen but I found the q then hsn at a low point in my life? I have bought 10 items over the 2 yrs since I discovered the two channels.

My one splurge, is a labradorite ring, my practical a few items of clothing, not much really. Sorta over it now.

Valued Contributor

I'd have to answer my Vitamix was both my splurge and practical item!

Super Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

My most useful/practical purchase was/is the Kuhn Rikon Ultimate Can Opener (item # K18779).  It's more sanitary then a regular can opener and easy to use. 

I can't think of a splurge item at the moment since I'm fairly practical.  I'll keep thinking.  

@cotton4me

I wanted to buy that can opener!

I wonder if I can buy it locally?