Valued Contributor

Re: What was your most memorable 4th of July?

The late '80's.  Rome, NY, on the grounds of Fort Stanwix.  The Syracuse symphony played, the Army Guard brought the artillery, the fireworks were impressive.  A beautiful community evening.

Then, a few years later, on a hill overlooking the golf course at Osan AB, Korea, we were treated to a great light show.

Super Contributor

Panama City FL summer of 1970 and fell in love like ketchup loves french fries!

Honored Contributor

My most memorable 4th was when my daughter was about six or seven. My husband took her to a nearby community fireworks show. I didn't go because I hate fireworks. This was not some huge production but more small-town stuff, and I just don't trust the safety of them.

When my husband got home, he had to tell me that while sitting on the grass, my daughter was hit in the face with some type of illegal firework that was thrown from the hill above them. Thankfully, people reacted quickly. She was not physically injured but certainly frightened.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

This happened many moons ago.

In addition to the legal fireworks, my teen neighbors had bottle rockets.

Very cool; lots of fun. Until. . .one landed one the roof of the house next to mine and started that house on fire. The fire department arrived quickly and about 1/4 of the house had damage. That part was rebuilt and that house still stands and looks the same to this day.

I really enjoyed all the safe-and-sane fireworks that could be purchased from the stands. But with CA in drought and everything super-dry I wish all sales were curtailed until the drought passes. I now dread 4 of July.

Esteemed Contributor

2007. We had a family reunion for Mom's 80th birthday at the Jersey shore. All the kids (8), in-laws(5) and grands (12) were there- even two dogs. Watched the fireworks on the beach. Something got messed up, so after a short display we went back to our rooms at the beach front hotel. Fireworks resumed, but they started a fire on the beach. Brought out the fire engines, etc. The boys, all seven of them loved the "show"!

Trusted Contributor

So interesting all the great memories of the 4th of July. Love to read them.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same as Peaches---July 4, 1976.  We lived in the DC suburbs, went to Arlington for the day and evening with friends and neighbors, all dressed in red, white and blue---with lots of food and supplies.  It was spectacular!  It took HOURS to get home---finally arrived well after midnight.  It was a proud and happy day to remember!

KK

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was the Bicentennial for me, too. 

I was apartment sitting for some friends who had rented a beach house for a month (I lived across the st but checked their apt every day and got their mail, etc.)  My apt was a back-of-the-brownstone studio, no view except a kind of "Rear Window" panorama of neighbors. But they had several kids and lived in one of the Riverside Drive behemoths on a high floor.  Amazing views of the river.

The Tall Ships sailed majestically down the Hudson and I went over there and watched for hours in fascination.  NYC knows how to throw a party: that was a fun day.

Esteemed Contributor

Many fireworks displays at Pismo Beach CA.  We camp at Pismo Coast Village and put out and guard our chairs starting early in the day. We sit on the beach and watch 3 cities fireworks (not to mention many illegal fireworks that go on for over an hour.  Also saw Beach Boys at Washington Monument once, also memorable.

Esteemed Contributor

The times I spent the 4th at the Jersey shore with my family of course.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles