Honored Contributor

Re: What was your most memorable 4th of July?

Back in the late 50's & early 60's when our Church use to have a big 4th of July picnic at a place that had a wonderful pool that had spring water in it that was ice cold.  Everyone would bring picnic dishes and we would all have such a great time!  

Esteemed Contributor

Disneyland is one. Pearl Harbor Navy Base with the Navy Band is another. Two summers ago it was on the beach with the whole family on the beach of Waikiki and then afterwards just going up to our rooms (no drive home).

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all the fun stories of your July 4th.
Esteemed Contributor

Growing up, my great aunt & uncle on my mom's side would host a family carry-in every year.  They had a small, but nice, pond away from their house and we would have it at the pond.  There was always lots of food and we'd go swimming or go out in the rowboat and play all day long with our cousins.  They're both gone now and their daughter and her husband kept up the tradition at their house in the country for many years (no pond though Woman Mad )  Eventually all the work for the picnic got to be too much for them as well so now we just have it at a shelterhouse at a local park.  There is a nice playground for the kids and plenty of grassy areas to run around, play frisbee, etc. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Don't really have one.

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

As a kid growing up in NYC, 1976 bicentennial, Riverside Park watching fireworks on the hudson river, red portable 8 track casette player in hand... 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't pick out any one particular 4th that was most memorable. However, after my parents died, my fondest July 4th celebrations took place at my best friend's mom's place. She had a gorgeous hug condo way above the city looking out at Elliott Bay in Seattle. Tons of us would gather for food, fun, and conversation. Then when it got dark we'd move the furniture around facing all the windows or stand on one of the two balconies and watch the fireworks coming from a barge on the Bay or Gasworks Park on Lake Union. We could see them both from that condo. The daughter would turn on the television station to get the coordinating music with the fireworks.  We were high enough up that the fireworks seem within touching range. In 2010 my friend's mom passed away and the condo was sold. I always feel an emptiness on that holiday now because I miss the celebrations, but most of all I miss her mom.

As a child, my memorable 4th of Julys came when we would go to my uncle's lumber mill for a family reunion. Not only did I get to see my cousins and all my other realtives, but this city girl got a taste of country with the cows, horses, pigs, and other wildlife at the mill. It was always a trip to my fantasies as my cousins and I would engage in a rousing enactment of cowboys and Indians with real country surroundings.