Honored Contributor

Re: What was your kindergarten experience?

I have a tendency to "block" unpleasant experiences.    I don't remember a thing about kindergarten, so it must have been b a d.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved kindergarten. I think it was 1970. I was a little bossy 5 year old "woman" and thought I was our teachers assistant lol! They gave us snacks I would pass out the little cartons of milk and when it came time for naps we laid down on mats and the teacher would put the lights out and I made sure everyone was quiet lol! We had a little play house with sink and stove and table and 2 couples went in at a time and I remember bossing my pretend husband around. Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

No K where I lived. I remember getting a spanking in first grade tho,not a good way to start school,hated every single year of it till I quit after 9th grade.

We went to a 2 room school,grades were in rows. It was grades 1-8. They always hired a married couple,there was a house next to the school they lived in.

Respected Contributor

Hugs (((spud 188)))Heart

Respected Contributor

My kindergarten teacher was a free spirit and a born teacher. And an eccentric.

She had three grown-up children, and one of her sons studied apes.  Her pet was a monkey, Jill. We would rush in every morning, hoping to get our coats up on the hooks in the cloakroom (the classroom was the front parlor of her large house) before Jill could slide down the bannister and chitter at us.

When a child had a birthday, she turned the classroom into a "nightclub" with party hats and cake and "champagne" (ginger ale).  We would dance on these occasions and perform skits we had rehearsed.

She had a library (bookshelf in the schoolroom) where you checked out books for quiet time. I was the "librarian" who stamped the books because I was already reading and could identify the titles. My older brothers had taught me, using their comic books. She was brisk, not soupy or sentimental like "Miss Jean" on Romper Room, and I adored her.

I was so very disappointed when I entered first grade.

Trusted Contributor

I did not have a kindergarten experience, because my mom didn't sign me up in time and back then, it wasn't required. I probably would have enjoyed it, but it didn't scar me for life or anything. At least I don't think I'm lacking in any major way. 

Respected Contributor

All I remember of kindergarten is being bussed (our neighborhood school was being built), mats for naps, graham crackers and milk for snack.

I've had former students tell me what they remember and I'm really glad that they have good, positive memories. I was stumped, however, when so many of them said they learned how to read in 1st grade. Darn, I was so proud that the majority of my students could read well before they left my room.

Esteemed Contributor

While my long term memory is very good! It doesn't register back to 4 years old. Guess maybe those brain cells must have got overwritten with newer recordings.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There was no KG where I lived. I went straight to first grade in 1961. My catholic school had 4 class rooms and 4 teachers in the whole school where grades one through eight were taught. That meant there were two grades in a classroom with one teacher who taught both grades at once. We had about 30 kids to a classroom. Imagine that... And I got a very good education.
Honored Contributor

No kindergarten experience for me. My area of southern WV did not have kindergarten programs in the public schools until the early 70's.