Respected Contributor

Re: What was your kindergarten experience?

1960 ~ Wow.  Good memories.  It was half day.  We started every morning with the Flag going up the pole and learning to sing God Bless America.  Games...Swings...It was in FL, so there was pool time...Snack Time.  Not much academics, just lots of play time, crafts, books being read to us.  

Thanks for the trip down memory lane........... 

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Frequent Contributor

Our town nor any of them around had Kindergarten in the middle 60's. I was in high school before I ever heard of such a thing and I was floored! Our school was starting something called Kindergarten and making little five year old kids go! I came home and told my Mama, "imagine having to go to school before you start school"! No one went to any kind of school before they were six years old. I did like first grade though.
I remember my Crayola crayons came in a hard plastic container and one day when we were coloring I accidentally knocked them off my desk and it made quiet a noise on the floor. My teacher made me hold out my hands and she spanked them with a ruler! I cried!
~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely wonderful ! Ms. Finch took our class to pick strawberries, clean the park, VA visits, art exhibits and concerts. I learned there was a bigger world than the insular post where we lived.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

1960 ~ Wow.  Good memories.  It was half day.  We started every morning with the Flag going up the pole and learning to sing God Bless America.  Games...Swings...It was in FL, so there was pool time...Snack Time.  Not much academics, just lots of play time, crafts, books being read to us.  

Thanks for the trip down memory lane........... 

Oh yes the flag. We said The Pledge of Allegiance every day.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I never went to kindergarten! I did go to preschool for two years, then started first grade at 5. So my first school experience I remember was an embarrassing one. I had to go to the bathroom during quiet time. Everyone was spread out on the floor on blankets. I remember trying to get out of the darkened room and bumping into students. They were all yelling at me. I finally gave up and stood in the middle of the room crying. The teacher came over and rescued me! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

I remember the first day of K.  My mom brought me to the playground and we had to stand in a line.  Then the parents started walking away and I looked at Mom and pleaded, "Don't leave me here!"  I was crying.

I remember storytime, nap time, snacks and that I got a small gift when I came back to school after having an operation.  My teacher's name was Mrs. Miller.

Honored Contributor

I was only 4 years old and already knew how to read when I started kindergarten, I loved it.  Looking back, I don't remember a house to play in, but my daughter had one in her kindergarten.  I was amazed by the coat room and the ritual of hanging up our coats and lunchboxes.

In first grade I totally loved my teacher and anything she had us do.

2nd grade was a rude awakening.  When all the other kids were learning to read, I was bored and talked, talked, talked.  Consequently, I had to stay after school often for talking.  At least the teacher let me read library books instead of just sitting there staring off into space, so actually I didn't mind it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I don't remember at all. Maybe a snippet here and there. Kindergarten for me was about 1952. I do remember the Pledge, National Anthem, and religious songs and Bible readings. Not sure how many years that lasted. Public schools in NJ.
Honored Contributor

Didn't have to go in the mid 40's.........

Honored Contributor

Mostly finger painting.  Quiet room, quiet kids.  No crying that I can remember.  My mom taught me how to read,  count, etc. 'way ahead of time'.  I remember teaching (helping) some of the other children how to read, in a circle, all around me.  But, I don't remember which grade.   The teacher would often ask me to help them.  I still remember one tall, slim boy (Jay) who needed a lot of help.   I sometimes wonder about him, his life, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).