Esteemed Contributor

What was your kindergarten experience?

We have friends with a child who will start kindergarten in September and this brought back memories of my kindergarten experience.

I need to tell you that my experience occurred in 1952, which will be waaaay earlier than most of you, so consider the time in which it occurred.

What I remember about first day: when we had our first recess, most of the kids were gathered around the teacher - clinging onto her - and about half of them were crying.  Several kids and I were running around trying to think of games we could play.  I found another girl and we tried to play hopscotch without tors.  All that crying did not compute.  I could not wait to get away from my mother and start school!  All the crying kids wanted to home to their mommies.

The entire experience back then was b-o-r-i-n-g.  The kindergarten room was large and long.  It had a real playhouse in it.  Girls could play with girls in it, but were not allowed to play with boys in it and vice versa.  We painted on easels.  One day I started to paint a battle ship (we were just years away from WWII) and I was told by my teacher that I couldn't paint a battleship, because only boys did that.  What?  I recall being very angry with her. 

We didn't do any activity relative to learning.  Everything was play and activity.  I was so bored I started getting in trouble for talking too much.  My mother started to teach me at home: phonics, arithmetic, etc.  When 1st grade arrived, 4 of us were considered too advanced for 1st grade, so were placed over on the side in a row and were taught how to weave pot holders.  Can you imagine?

How was your experience?

Honored Contributor

Re: What was your kindergarten experience?

I went to kdgn in the late 50s. I loved everything about it except nap time. I especially liked finger painting at an easel, playing with the huge blocks and story time. I was never homesick or wanting to stay home sick.
Super Contributor

We had 1/2 day kindergarten back in the 80s.  I remember our room was really long with desks on the left and a giant rug and piano on the other side.  My teacher was older - I think she retired a couple years later.  

I remember sitting in a circle on the rug and shaking the jar to make buttermilk.  

I remember watching Charlotte's Web and crying my eyes out -- and wondering why no one else was.  

I remember getting the choice of a peanut butter Ritz cracker or a box of raisins for a snack everyday.  I always chose the cracker.

I remember the monsters that our teacher used to teach us colors -- I remember Pink was in the sink (that's the only one I can think of).

I remember doing worksheets where we had to match the number to the picture.

That's about it.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Trusted Contributor

Well, first, the teacher made applesause and I got hives.   Then they noticed I limped a bit and I was diagnosed with LCPD and ended up in a wheelchair for the next 7 years.  

Kindergarten for me, was very short lived.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to kindergarten in 1964. I never understood all the crying, I loved going to school, maybe because I spent a few years being jealous of my older sister getting to go.

I remember loving art, recess and snack time. I also remember my "nap rug" being a soft, fluffy bath towel, that my mother had sewn my name on, using rick rack.Heart

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Brand new school in 1958. The only thing I remembered are nap time, teacher took my musical teddy bear away, told I couldn't make spaghetti on my water painting ....... I came away with a negative from the beginning. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Our town didn't have kindergarten. But 1st grade was great. I kissed my first boy on the school bus.

Honored Contributor

Back in the cave days we didn't have kindergarten. 😉   My son went in the early 70s and loved it.  His teachers were great.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYwoman wrote:

Well, first, the teacher made applesause and I got hives.   Then they noticed I limped a bit and I was diagnosed with LCPD and ended up in a wheelchair for the next 7 years.  

Kindergarten for me, was very short lived.

☆☆☆☆☆

NY WOMAN,  I am sorry you had to go through that.  How are you now?  So much for such a little girl.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Regular Contributor

back when i went to kindergarten i remember liking it.  we did not do any academic work that i can remember but we did learn our colors -- but just the major ones not shades.  i of course already knew my colors and how to print.

i remember coloring a bluebird really good and i got to go down the slide which was in the room

except for chairs and table, i don't remember any other furniture in the room and no toys -- well we had a ball for games and such.

kindergarten was not required in those days and was only half a day.  one group got morning the first term and afternoon the second and the other class did the opposite.  we had two teachers and one took half the class into a smaller room for crafty things i guess.  in our room we each had long sheets of brown paper which we placed ont he floor and took a nap or at least were quiet.  we sort of envied the children in the small room who only had to put their heads down on the table.

that was quite a while ago, however , in fact in 1937 i think.