Valued Contributor

Re: What was your kindergarten experience?

Wow.  1954, Palm Avenue School, morning session.   When the scheduled teacher became pregnant, she was replaced by Mrs Martin, the music teacher.  My parents had to explain why they allowed me to read, add, know the days of the week and months of the year.  That was first grade knowledge. 

I was left-handed, too.  My parents refused allow the usual switch to the right.  I was scolded for beginning coloring exercises on the right of the paper, working to the left.  I did it that way to keep from smearing the colors onto the side of my hand.  It was not a happy experience.

Valued Contributor

What is going on here? I could care less if someone got raisins or a peanut butter cracker!!!! Not being ugly, just curious how this came  up!!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was a few years post kindergarten but I have a vague memory of one of the adults (probably a TA) finding a tiny round brown ball that dropped out of one of the kid's drawers on the linoleum floor, putting it to her nose then making a face. lol

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Oh wow.  I remember the "Lefty is WRONG" thing.  Teachers would try and get my Parents to MAKE me switch to the right hand.  "Her handwriting will never be nice...  She is backwards...  Her letters slant the wrong way....  FIX HER!!!  THAT WAS CRAZY!!!  

PS Q ~ put back the auto spellcheck!  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Super Contributor

Where I lived, there was no kindergarten (small town in 1956), 

Respected Contributor

I remember starting kindergarten at Packert school (sp) in Brooklyn in 1950. There I learned that little boys went weee out of their belly buttons. 

Then later that year back in CA. I went to a marvelous school where there were no grades, lots of encouragement, wonderful mixtures of kids of all backgrounds, and free speech and thinking. I loved every minute from day one. We all wished the school would up and float away in a flood and we would never have to leave.

Esteemed Contributor

@alleycatnumber1 wrote:

What is going on here? I could care less if someone got raisins or a peanut butter cracker!!!! Not being ugly, just curious how this came  up!!!

OP Here,

I just chalk this up to the fact that when reaching back to recall events which occurred at the age of 5 or so, it can be really interesting to see what surfaces.  Quite often rembrances of food or scents are the first to come to mind, so this makes sense to me.

Because I grew up in the grocery business (family owned stores), we could get anythiing wholeale.  However, peanut butter and raisins were never a "cheap" food, so families who had to really pinch pennies to make ends meet would have kids that would find peanut butter with raisins a big treat.

For me, I'd remember the pickled herring my Russian grandfather always had at parties.  I loved it and can remember eating it since about the age of 3, when my memory kicked in.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I was only 4 years old and already knew how to read when I started kindergarten, I loved it.  Looking back, I don't remember a house to play in, but my daughter had one in her kindergarten.  I was amazed by the coat room and the ritual of hanging up our coats and lunchboxes.

In first grade I totally loved my teacher and anything she had us do.

2nd grade was a rude awakening.  When all the other kids were learning to read, I was bored and talked, talked, talked.  Consequently, I had to stay after school often for talking.  At least the teacher let me read library books instead of just sitting there staring off into space, so actually I didn't mind it.

2nd grade was a rude awakening for me as well, as we moved to a new school district mid-year.  I found out that the school I had been attending was very lazy with its curriculum, so found myself way behind in math and reading.  In this new school, all of us were placed in either Group 1, 2 or 3, with 1 being the highest achieving and 3 being those who were most challenged.  I was embarrassed that in math I was in Group 3 for a short while, because my other school hadn't taught me how to perform "subtraction with borrowing."  Caught up quickly enough in reading, but that math - was really set back.  You'd think that the entire city of SF would have been charged with teaching the same curriculum on the same time line, but not so.

Esteemed Contributor

My kindergarten was the early 60s. I remember my teachers name, i remember learning to tie my shoe, I remember the big sliding board in the room. Thats it. lol. I remember more about my dad holding my sting ray bike helping me learn how to ride in the back alley (we lived in the city). I remember him letting go and I had no training wheels. I remember family times much more than grade school. Oh except for those stupid air raids we had in grade school in case the Russians would bomb us. Of course they never did, yet they terrified us having to hide under tables!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:
I went to kdgn in the late 50s. I loved everything about it except nap time. I especially liked finger painting at an easel, playing with the huge blocks and story time. I was never homesick or wanting to stay home sick.

Have read a few entries regarding nap time and I find that most unusual, as I don't believe there was one kindergarten in my city that made the kids take a nap.  I certainly didn't and believe me it would have driven me to distraction!