Honored Contributor

Re: What was the first "important" piece of jewelry you were given?

My grandmother gave me her great aunts garnet necklace from the 1920s when I was a teen. I still have it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I did receive two gold crosses when I christened but not counting those; my first real piece of jewelry was 14k gold hoop earrings when I was 12.  All summer long, my Mom and I battled of me getting my ears pierced.  Finally, she just gave in and took me to our family doc, who piereced my ears.  I remember he did it with a hyperodermic needle with a little numbing agent in it and I felt no pain at all, he put a pair of my Mom's tiny little gold studs in them.  I thought I was sooooo cool and grown up!  But the earrings were borrowed and weeks later when I was ready for real earrings, my mom asked for her gold studs back.  She handed me a bag and said "you're read for these now" and they were gorgeous, gold earrings.  Real gold, a good gram weight.  They were gorgeos and even then I knew those earrings were my Mom's way of making up for all the bickering and arguing that summer.  I wore those earrings all through my schools years but at some point I lost track of them.    

Honored Contributor

We were so poor growing up jewelry was out of the question, but I remember for graduation my Mom and Aunt pooled their money and got me a watch.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a ton of very good jewelry......diamond necklaces, tennis bracelets, rings.........but the question was important piece of jewelry......so I take it we're not talking clarity, gram weight but importance..........then it would be two pieces.......my wedding ring because that was my future AND my grand mother's wedding ring whose center stone was my great grandmothers because that is my past.............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first important piece of jewelry I received was from my high school steady boyfriend for my 18th birthday.  It was an 18k gold heart locket and he put our pictures in it.

Honored Contributor

The first important piece of jewelry I can recall was from my Godfather who gave me a sterling/marcasite cross pendant when I received my First Communion, a huge event in the Catholic Church for children.  I found it when my mother died and my sister and I were going through her things.  Not sure why mom had it, she obvisouly never gave it to me.  Actually I was surprised she even still had it.  A bad relationship between my mother and me, she tended to make it a point to get rid of anything that belonged to me.  So very sad...

Marcasite - very old stone WAY back when and much better quality than I'd say it is nowadays. 

One of the best things that I can remember buying for myself was my first Seiko two-tone watch.  I was a working girl by the time I bought it, paid $70-80 for it.  That was probably 35 yrs ago - still going strong too.

Respected Contributor

i will say my engagement ring was the most "important:" at the time.

Honored Contributor

My Mom bought me a very small diamond ring for my 16th birthday back in the mid 70's.  I loved that ring.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi minky,

Important?  I bought my Class of '57 high school ring. Think karma got me on that one. I didn't graduate and the ring was taken when my apartment was burglarized. Should I see this as karma? What'da ya think?

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

A family heirloom emerald solitaire ring that I was given to me by my great grandmother when I was 15. She carried it in her corset from Romania with a few other baubles when immigrating to the United States via Ellis Island.

It's my treasure.