Honored Contributor

Re: What type of storage containers do you use at your home?

@Oznell 

This one's for you!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I use Tupperware.  I only have 2 lock n lock bowls that I bought because I liked the pattern on them. Everything else is Tupperware.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I save and reuse GLASS JARS

@Desertdi  Are these for drinking glasses, which seems to be very popular now, or for storage, and if so, what do you store?

@qualitygal    Glass jar with twist on metal lid...for "leftovers"

36 pcs Honey Jars - 1kg size - Round Glass Jar with Gold Lid

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For big storage, off season stuff, decorations, etc. we have all kinds of plastic bins, some colored and some clear.  I have special wreath shaped ones (think they're Rubbermaid) for my seasonal wreaths.  

For kitchen storage, I've eliminated 99% of the plastics (Lock-n-Lock, OXO, etc.) and have converted to assorted sized of glass mason jars for pantry goods and for my refrigerated fresh berries.  They keep much longer when stored in glass, BTW.  I have assorted glass Anchor Hocking containers for leftovers.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi 

Me too!!

And I save a few empty large mayo jars with lids, or the Folgers Instant Coffee* large jars with lids. 

I also reuse the Hillshire Farms plastic containers ( don't tell the Lock n Lock lady!!) they work fine ....Being single, I don't save stuff for 200 years in the freezer....

* and YES I've tried almost every  magical coffee gimmick out there and for me, instant Folgers is fine. 

My 95 YO mother was right. "You don't need all that XXXX!!!!"

She never did...and she was an excellent cook who could whip up meals for us and company using just a few simple kitchen implements that were well made,lasted her for years, and did the job as welll as any gimmicky magic appliances the size of 55 gallon drums allegedly do today....

And I bet a LOT of poster here my age ( 67) would say the same thing!!!

Wish I had listened. I Inherited all her little paring knives with wooden handles, openers, graters, sifters,mashers and  aluminum pans....she could do more with them than ANY of these contraptions.....

I have Lock n Lock. but it's all going too. Somehow they convince us we're going to store tons of stuff in them for some distant future day when we can't just go to the grocery store and get nice fun fresh stuff....I fell for it too!!!!

Personally.....I don't want to store ANYTHING for more than a few days at this point!!!

Honored Contributor

pretty much solely locknlock containers now.

a few random tupperware items also.

plastic, tritan, and glass containers.

i have had good luck with them overall.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

• For leftovers: Glasslock / Glass Lock & Lock (squares/rectangles only)
  • For freezer storage: Container Store multi-purpose bins
  • For pantry items: tall skinny clamp-style jars
  • For homemade cleaning products: Bonne Maman jars
  • For holiday decorations, etc.: Container Store weathertight containers

Esteemed Contributor

Glass

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

@Desertdi 

Me too!!

And I save a few empty large mayo jars with lids, or the Folgers Instant Coffee* large jars with lids. 

I also reuse the Hillshire Farms plastic containers ( don't tell the Lock n Lock lady!!) they work fine ....Being single, I don't save stuff for 200 years in the freezer....

* and YES I've tried almost every  magical coffee gimmick out there and for me, instant Folgers is fine. 

My 95 YO mother was right. "You don't need all that XXXX!!!!"

She never did...and she was an excellent cook who could whip up meals for us and company using just a few simple kitchen implements that were well made,lasted her for years, and did the job as welll as any gimmicky magic appliances the size of 55 gallon drums allegedly do today....

And I bet a LOT of poster here my age ( 67) would say the same thing!!!

Wish I had listened. I Inherited all her little paring knives with wooden handles, openers, graters, sifters,mashers and  aluminum pans....she could do more with them than ANY of these contraptions.....

I have Lock n Lock. but it's all going too. Somehow they convince us we're going to store tons of stuff in them for some distant future day when we can't just go to the grocery store and get nice fun fresh stuff....I fell for it too!!!!

Personally.....I don't want to store ANYTHING for more than a few days at this point!!!

@Othereeeen     I have both my mother's AND my grandmothers Corning Ware.    And....yup....all their knives....those German forged steel things that sharpen up like razor blades!    In fact, I cut down a very large cactus in the yard with one of the butcher knives....     

I make my coffee in a stove burner pot..and use the micro and a countertop oven for everything else.   No gadgets, gizmos, or single-purpose appliances!     di    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@KingstonMom wrote:

Lord knows, I have enough LocknLock to last me & 10 other people a lifetime!

Those things never die! I actually think they reproduce, according to my kitchen cabinet!

Same here @KingstonMom !  Not only do they multiply in the night for some strange reason someone in my household keeps ordering them lol.  Idea behind that was to purge the old ones and keep the colored lids I prefer.

Purging hasn't happened yet but I'm going to give it a go today, I want to declutter yikes!

How about you, do you have the colors you prefer or a variety?  How about the original clear ones from a long time ago, I can't bring myself to get rid of them.  I'm going to try though.