Esteemed Contributor

Re: What type of fridge do you own?

When we married the house we rented had a fridge with a bottom freezer. When we have had to get a new fridge since then, we have bought a bottom freezer. I wouldn't buy anything else. In this latest house the fridge has no freezer at all. My last bottom freezer stayed with our house when we sold it. It was 19 years ago (that we bought it), single door and no ice or water dispenser. I'm not sure of the brand...Whirlpool? I don't think I would ever get a side-by-side unless it was given to me. And then I might sell it and buy what I want. :-)
Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

We have a Kenmore side by side, about fifteen years old.  Does great except for the ice through the door.  At the time Kenmore was made by Whirlpool.  We have an issue with warm air going up through the ice cube drop.  It stays clogged.  Other than that, no problem!

Honored Contributor

We have a kenmore side by side. So far no problems with it. I like it because I am short and  the freezer isn't a problem for me. I don't have to stand on tip toes ,trying to find what I want ,nor do I have to bend over searching for stuff

Super Contributor

Kenmore:  freezer on bottom.

I have a small kitchen and this one works great.  It is only 29.63 inches wide and 66 inches tall.

The fridge part has a curved long handle on fron verticallyt, and the freezer drawer has the same handle only horizontal across the freezer door. 

The freezer drawer is split into 2 sections and when you open it you see those 2 sections.  However, there is a basket drawer that you can pull out that has one side for ice cubes and the other section is for smaller things, like ice cream or frozen veggies.

The fridge makes the ice cubes and all you have to do is click the "on" switch next to the ice cube tray and it makes cubes relatively quickly.

The fridge has 2 deli drawers that are really deep and then 1 other drawer underneath the 2 deli drawers.  This drawer is the width of the fridge. 

Also has lots o'room in the door for milk, eggs, butter, etc.

Very happy with it and I like that the freezer is on bottom since I use the refrigerator part lots more than the freezer and hated bending down all the time with my old fridge.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ours is an Amana side by side and I think it's 30 years old; still functions beautifully whereas my stepmom's refrigerator which came with her house in the late 80's is a Whirlpool double door with freezer on the bottom has had a couple issues.  The motor failed and they had to hire someone to fix it and for the past 5 years or so the rubber pops out at you when you open the double doors.  She doesn't want to buy a replacement and so just deals with it.   

Honored Contributor

henny,

I'm sorry you and mr. henny are having fridge problems.

I have a Whirlpool, freezer on top.   Love it!  It is 10 years old, no issues.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

I have a side by side GE builders model. It works fine for 5 years now, I have no complaints.

Honored Contributor

We have a GE Cafe series side by side with the freezer on the bottom.  I love the bottom freezer but not the fridge part.  I do not think there is enough space and shelves are weird.

Frequent Contributor

Have a Maytag with the freezer on the bottom.  Love it.

Honored Contributor

Iammrsg, I've been looking at that frig for months. Saw it at lowes in person. Samsung has one similar. The doors in the freezer at the bottom makes it easy to find things as you said. I manhandled it at the store for about 15 minutes, lol.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)