Honored Contributor

Re: What to wear to a school play

@FranandZoe wrote:

I think Jennifer Garner could have dressed up a bit more.  She frankly always looks too casual unless she's at an awards show or a movie premier.

Ben looks like he's in pain - poor thing has to suffer thru another event that isn't about him.

Well, we have two extremes here.  One maybe underdressed and one overdressed.  When I first started to go to school events, I'd say I fell into the overdressed category.  Neither is wrong.  

I was actually surprised when other parents told me I was always "so dressed up".  I got more casual as time went on, but I don't think we should be so judgmental.  

Honored Contributor

Suffer through another event that isn't about him? It's his daughter's school play, it shouldn't be about him. It must be very difficult to go to your kid's school and be photographed by paparazzi there, very intrusive.

As for his marriage and whatever is going on there well he should have known, he knows her very well by now.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I would approve of the stepmother's dress if it was not bright orange (or so that's my perception). Seraphina the star of the show? Not as long as JLo is in the house!

ITA that JLo is the star of her own show and dresses the part. So do I. I do think, as another poster suggested, that JG could have dressed up a bit. It is theater, after all, even in a middle school gym or auditorium.

I also agree that JLO should have sat this one out, but perhaps Seraphina asked her to attend and enjoy her moment on stage.

Honored Contributor

JLO is way over dressed, I see nothing wrong with how Jennifer Garner is dressed, she looks comfortable and the night is not about her. Ben always looks annoyed, I guess it's true about opposites attracting, JLO seems outgoing, Ben doesn't seem to be. 

Respected Contributor

I think that everyone seemed happy and content, regardless of clothing choices.

71239411-12108601-Family_first_Two_time_Grammy_nominee_Jennifer_Lopez_and_her_four-a-35_1684707264588.jpg

Honored Contributor

At this point maybe Ben just enjoys trolling photographers with the grumpy sad Ben stuff. 

I think he isn't outgoing and is a much more private person. He enjoys acting and directing, not being a celebrity.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

I think Jennifer Garner could have dressed up a bit more.  She frankly always looks too casual unless she's at an awards show or a movie premier.

Ben looks like he's in pain - poor thing has to suffer thru another event that isn't about him.

The picture of Ben was him getting out of the car after he had dropped JLo off.  Jennifer Garner has even said that he is a wonderful father and devoted to his children.  I think he was happy to see his daughter perform.

Esteemed Contributor

I flipped over to see how it was handled and as expected the headline was all about Lopez.  To go to a middle school school play dressed like a diva tells you all you need to know about her priorities.....LOOK AT ME    yuck

Respected Contributor

And we know none of the rest of the story.

Was Jennifer Lopez coming from a job & was dressed for that?

Was Jennifer Garner working backstage?

We don't know.

They all showed up for the daughter! That is the important piece of information.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me there is a difference in being dressed up and wearing a floor length gown with a deep front slit that is appropriate for a red carpet appearance and not appropriate for a middle school play at a child's school.  If that is considered judgmental then I will wear that crown.