Honored Contributor

Re: What to gift for a Baptism?

Just because there is a baptism doesn't necessarily mean the parents are religious, but maybe just follow family tradition. I would not give a religious gift, I would give money in an amount I could afford. It's good people continue to respect the myth.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 baker said:

Just because there is a baptism doesn't necessarily mean the parents are religious, but maybe just follow family tradition. I would not give a religious gift, I would give money in an amount I could afford. It's good people continue to respect the myth.

What myth are you referring to?

Trusted Contributor

I usually give a keepsake type gift, perhaps a music box, nice photo frame, jewelry, etc.

Valued Contributor

I don't believe gifts are really appropriate for a baptism and rather pagan or secular. If the person is truly turning their life over to Christ, then a good Bible would be a nice gift. They are expensive. If it is just a dunk in the water because a person is religious I guess it doesn't matter what you give them. The act of baptism would be meaningless anyway.

Honored Contributor

My intention was not to be rude, sorry if I offended people.

Esteemed Contributor

Baker/Cakers - I don't mind the idea of a book for the child to read later in life, it's not a bad idea. In fact one should challenge certain traditions/beliefs to see whether or not they are something to place their trust into. Great idea.

I know Cakers wasn't sparring with you. I have in the past declined invites due to either the religion which required of me some custom or other, and also because I didn't know what would be considered appropriate to gift without offending anyone. When it came to religion, I played it safe and just stayed away.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

I have been to many family Christening parties. We always give money. When our grand children were baptized, they received numerous religious plaques and articles. My daughter told me almost all of them are still sitting in a drawer.

Honored Contributor

I love the idea of a personalized photo frame with the baby's name and birthdate. That would be a wonderful memento for years to come.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I still don't understand why the need to give gifts and money or this. A card is fine.

Valued Contributor

On 4/3/2015 missy1 said:

I still don't understand why the need to give gifts and money or this. A card is fine.

I don't either. Giving gifts takes the focus of dying to your old self to a new creature in Christ. I think in some religions it more about a party than the actual reason for baptism.