Honored Contributor

Re: What to expect as you age?

Sure, at 65 I have aches and pains I never had before.  One thing I just won't do is not work out daily - no matter how I feel.  I had some health issues and found myself falling into a pattern of just wanting to give in to not be as active and just accepting I was aging but thank goodness I kept working out at a slower pace.  Now I can do longer and heavier workouts again and am fit and feeling great in spite of the stiffness, aches and pains of aging especially in the morning.  If I had given up this would not have been the case.  Working out early in the morning before anything else is priority - the heck with housework if I don't get to it!  As a result I find that I can be more mobile all day.  I know if I stop I will feel worse and just want to not move around much and my energy level will plummet because of it.    

@tarsmomI know that many have health issues but I would say do some physical activity daily at a level you can (and push a little more) and just don't give in to aging.  It will also help with your mental attitude.

Respected Contributor

Yup, the energy changes and fades with everything else. I’m off for the summer and I easily nap everyday, although I sleep fine at night- Another clue about aging.... But I push myself and keep going!  

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I've been retired 5 years and am a realist who accepts the aging process. I am not one who is in denial about aging. Strength, energy level, changes in vision and hearing, mobility and balance,  weight, and sleep pattern can all be a normal part of aging for many of us. I try to enjoy each day and know that pain and discomfort will sometimes be a part of my day. I have many more good days than bad. I totally love retirement. 

===========

@RetRN, you've accurately summed up what happens as we age. I retired well before the official retirement age because of a deal my company offered long term employees. Have very few legitimate complaints! People who brag about working until 70 cause me to shake my head. It's fine if they want to, but an early well-planned retirement is a blessing.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I've been retired 5 years and am a realist who accepts the aging process. I am not one who is in denial about aging. Strength, energy level, changes in vision and hearing, mobility and balance,  weight, and sleep pattern can all be a normal part of aging for many of us. I try to enjoy each day and know that pain and discomfort will sometimes be a part of my day. I have many more good days than bad. I totally love retirement. 

===========

@RetRN, you've accurately summed up what happens as we age. I retired well before the official retirement age because of a deal my company offered long term employees. Have very few legitimate complaints! People who brag about working until 70 cause me to shake my head. It's fine if they want to, but an early well-planned retirement is a blessing.

@AuntG  Working until 70 brings financial gains for some, can't remember exactly, but DH said he will do that, fine with me, as long as he is able at that time.

Honored Contributor

I certainly see your point @mousiegirl. Had I not had a wonderful husband who wants to work until full retirement age, I would not have taken early retirement because of the health insurance. However, I still encourage anyone who would like to retire early, to do some pre-planning and then go for it.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I'm 64 and besides my knees hurting going up and down stairs and having a hard time losing weight I feel the same as I always did.  I never was I high energy person to begin with and I have envied those who were.

@haddon9  Have you tried Andrew Lessman's glucosamine/chondroitin for your knees?  since I have been taking it, my knees no longer click or are painful, but if I sit too long, I can get stiff, lol, but there has been such an improvement.

@mousiegirl Thanks !  I will look into it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Change.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

I am soon to be 63 and work full time in an office.  Lots of computer work, deadlines and we all pretty much keep to ourselves during work hours.  I have always been someone who's viewed as "high-energy" even a little "hyper" and I have about two years left to work.  

I'm a little surprised that as I get older, I don't have that energy I used to have.  My hands have arthritis, my neck and back are tense and I guess I didn't expect to feel like this as I get older.  My mom (rest her soul) told me over 15 years ago, "honey you're not 23 anymore, you can't expect to have the energy you used to have."   

Do you ladies (and gents) feel this way too?  I honestly don't have many others in my age group to ask.  Most of them are retired, or are on disability themselves.  I don't want to complain but I am not around hardly anyone my own age so I guess I'm trying to be 30 in a 63 year old body.  

If you are retired, did you get your energy back after you stopped working?  Or are my energetic days behind me?  Most days something is hurting, not bad enough to stay home, but I am feeling it.  

It would help me to hear your thoughts Smiley Happy

Thank you!

Edited to add:  I had a recent physical and everything looked good - blood work, slightly high cholesterol - everything else ok.  

@tarsmom

I'm really quite surprised you expected to be high energy until when? .....  Right up to the day you die?   

I'm not even close to retirement, but I can tell you that family health history will significantly impact most of us at some point.   The joints are affected by many things .... old injuries, arthritis & pain levels, your usual activity levels, etc etc 

Eat right, stay healthy, exercise ....  and keep in mind you're not 21 anymore, so you don't have unrealistic expctations.  Just keep moving.    

I do agree that family health history will affect most but environmental factors have equally as important an impact. 

"Just keep moving".....Agree 1000% ! 

The more I think about slowing down the slower I get so I'm not thinking about it !  Eat right and move, get some good sleep if you can and enjoy yourself. 

Respected Contributor

I'm 67 and thankfully, in good overall health.  I do notice, however, that exercise (I do Jazzercise) really helps keep me energized and feeling good.  When I don't do it for a couple of days - or a week - I really feel more tired and achy and generally less positive.

For those who can't do this type of exercise, I'd still recommend some type of movement - maybe the water exercises - and use of weights if possible.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I guess I can say I’m 70 (10 days away) w/o too much of a cringe. Having always worked from home, I made my own hours...never felt pressured except jewelry orders due at holidays or wedding season.

I always made time to keep up w/ my exercise routine. Except for arthritis in a few fingers, neck & shoulder pain if I try to work too long w/o stopping to stretch, I’m physically doing OK...I just knocked on wood. 😜

What I’m seeing the last few years is that I do have less tolerance and a shorter fuse. I get frustrated in situations where, for example, orders are wrong, banks make a mistake, the cable guy forgets to show up, etc. These things never stressed me out before. That’s what I’m working on. 

I don’t want to be a sour old lady.

Shanus, this part of your post made laugh, because that is something that is happening to me too.  And my husband also.   At one point he said to me "we're turning into two angry old people."  I saw it  happen to my mother, as well.  What's that all about?  I used to be more low-key.  Oh well.