Trusted Contributor

call any local prisons in your area and see if  you can donate. 

Honored Contributor

They are is great shape ,and very clean i will contact a church.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Donate them to goodwill and get a tax write off too!  They sell a lot of great books! I go there just to look a the books!👍

Respected Contributor

Just out of curiosity are they books that people would recognize and know the authors?

Honored Contributor

Re: What to do with books

[ Edited ]

@lovescats wrote:

Just out of curiosity are they books that people would recognize and know the authors?

Yes, charles stanley ,max lucado, c.s lewis. I have called 3 churches, they all have no libraries.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I donate them to whatever organization calls me.  It is usually the Boys and Girls Club or Veterans that give me a call quite often, looking for donations of any kind.

If any are paperback books, detention centers will accept them.  The residents usually are desperate for new reading materials, especially books that are not romance books.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN Last summer it was so cute to see the kids riding up the box and choosing a new book, and peddling away  the smiles on their faces were priceless, I am so glad to see these popping up in communities. I love to see children who are excited to read and go on adventures, the little girl across the street loves to read and comes over and asks for my advice on series for you age, if I remember, I recently turned her onto the Little House on the Prairie book, they were a favorite of mine at her age.  She also had the Harry Potter series read to her by her grandmother, another favorite of mine, we like to compare notes!

Respected Contributor

recycle bin

Honored Contributor

Sometimes used bookstores will take them, particularly if they look good on a shelf.  Some of them make a sideline of working with interior decorators to fill library shelves of newly-minted McMansions.

Respected Contributor

I would try to donate them to a library for their book sale or just take them to Goodwill. 

I think this conversation is about older books but if someone has newer books you could check out online sites like cash4books or even Amazon.  All you usually have to do is put in the ISBN # and the site will tell you if you can get money for them.  I have used these sites before but there are a lot of other ones out there.  

Also, an idea for children's books that are in good shape is to check with the local schools.  The school library might could use them or the teachers for their classroom libraries.