Trusted Contributor

Re: What' to do in Manhatten?

@PilatesLover wrote:

FYI, Statue of Liberty will take the better part of a day.

I recommend Museum of Natural History for kids.  I don't know if Central Park still has horse and buggy rides?  There's always the Central Park Zoo.

If you can get tickets to Radio City Music Hall that would be great fun.

And please don't eat at a chain restaurant.  So many ethnic places to find wonderful food.  And you must have NY pizza.  Last time I was in NYC it seemed all the chain food places were on the main streets and the great little restaurants were on the side streets.  Ray's Pizza is a famous pizzeria.  

Sorry, but, Ray's is no different than a chain. It's garbage. It was famous in the 70s.

Try:

Grimaldi's, Keste, Sofia, Scarr's, Patsy, Lombardi, Prince St., Joe's, John's -- just to name a few.

Honored Contributor

Joe's Pizza is the best pizza.  There's people eating it on the street all hours.  LOL

Respected Contributor

Since you will be staying in downtown Manhattan, I would suggest spending a day or two exploring that, The 9/11 Memorial, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Soho, Museum of the American Indian, the Tenement Museum, and a trip on the Staten Island Ferry ( free) passes right by the Statue of Liberty. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Since you will be staying in downtown Manhattan, I would suggest spending a day or two exploring that, The 9/11 Memorial, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Soho, Museum of the American Indian, the Tenement Museum, and a trip on the Staten Island Ferry ( free) passes right by the Statue of Liberty. 

Maybe it's because I live here (and lived through 9/11), or maybe it's just me, but the last thing I want to do on a carefree vacation is see sad stuff -- Tenement Museum, 9/11 Memorial, Ellis Island -- I find them so depressing.  I know some of it is uplifting, but so much is sad. 

It's difficult for me to know what visitors want to see when it comes to these.

Super Contributor

If it's a nice day try taking the Staten Island ferry,it's free and you can see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and a view of downtown. Also try walking the Brooklyn Bridge you can enjoy seeing the skyline that way. Also just walk around our beautiful city. It's wonderful during the holidays. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

With the holiday season in full swing for your visit, I recommend a few things mentioned -- Rock Center tour and xmas show, Saks 5th Ave xmas lights, St. Patrick's cathedral, the holiday craft show at Grand Central Station, the New York Public Library, nearby Bryant Park decked out with holiday lights and crafts.  If you do a broadway play we like to dine at Trattoria Tre Colori (phone reservations).  If you want to break away from the crowds, consider Central Park,  Lincoln Center and the Shops at Columbus Circle.  The MOMA was recently renovated.  Expect crowds everywhere.  Bring comfortable and warm shoes/boots, scarves. gloves and dress in layers.  As others have said -- plan ahead with reservations and tickets.

Have a blast.

Honored Contributor

Another New Yawker here - 

one museum - The Metropolitan of Art - it has a little of everything and you won't be able to see the whole museum - so check it out at home on which galleries you want to visit. I believe the ticket will also give you access to the Cloisters (castle) -double check me

see a broadway show - I love love love MOULIN ROUGE - probably expensive but so worth it

see the Nutcracker ballet performed at Lincoln Center - it is spectacular

I would skip the actual tree lighting - it is a madhouse - see the tree after it is lit

I also never visited the 9/11 museum and never will - cuz as someone said, you lived through it and I don't need to see the artifacts.

John's of Times Square (Pizza) is very good - brick oven pizza in a converted church

my fav Italian Restaurant - make reservations

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 7.12.34 PM.png

If you are still hungry after having tea at the Plaza - go downstairs to Todd English Food court locaterd in the Plaza - coffee, pastires, lobster rolls, pasta - there is somethiing for everyone.

the subway is the quickest to get around the city - but there are staircases to handle 

you will have a blast

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maisiebrook 

OMG - 

I love the italian restaruant and I also signed off with have a blast

I didn't see your reply until I posted - and was reading the conplete thread

Trusted Contributor

@Yahooey 

Regarding the Met  -- One admission is good for 3 consecutive days at all 3 locations. 

5th, Breuer, Cloisters.

I had told a friend who was visiting recently. I believe she was able to come and go in all 3 as she pleased for 3 days. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH 

I did not care for the Breuer at all - it took all of 5 minutes to view

they have a really nice bathroom lol - so it wasn't a wasted trip

We went there after viewing the fashion exhibit CAMP at the Met during the summer