Esteemed Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

@bikerbabe 

Preach it, Sister. Thank you for what you do. How is your face holding up from the N95 respirators?

dee

@bikerbabe wrote:
All I know is that at work we have 50% of our 36 bed MICU with COVID patients. Almost all on a vent. And this is down from a couple weeks ago. Another 50 or so patients on the floor. COVID patients die from renal failure, heart failure, heart attack, respiratory failure, stroke. Pick one. All complications from the virus. A patient might die from renal failure, but it was the virus that caused the kidneys to fail. Just because someone has a chronic condition, just mean that they were so sick they would have die yesterday if it weren’t from the damage done by the virus. I see too many people dismissing deaths without really understanding what is going on. I wish people had to spend one day as a nurse and see what we see. It’s not like the flu.

I just saw a comment on AIDS. One of the leading causes of death due to AIDS is pneumonia - often a rare fungal pneumonia. Why? Because AIDS destroys the immune system leading to what are called opportunistic infections. Yes, the person died of pneumonia, but it was due to the damage caused by HIV infection.

@deedledeedeedle  I think they said "complications from AIDS."  Why can't they do that with COVID...or are they?

Thank you @deedledeedeedle  and @bikerbabe for your work on the front lines.  Stay safe!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

We lost that when journalists were replaced with commentators or former lawyers who have no journalism background. 

@deeva  Add young and attractive to your description (commentators and lawyers). Can you imagine Walter Cronkite getting an anchor job in the current environment?  He had his opinions and politics, but he did his job which was reporting the news. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Icegoddess I've believe I"ve found out what incident you are talking about. There was a data dump initialted by a certain governor in order to muddy the waters and justify his reopening position. Things that make you go hmmmmm..........

@reiki604 , no that would not be the incident.  We have a female governor and she is going ahead wth the next phase of reopening beginning tonight.  I think they just got those early test results in which were taken before the newer, faster tests.  The local station made a point of clarifying these "new" cases included old tests, but the National news did not but somehow wanted to single out my state for having a large increase in cases.

And to all those people talking about politics and deaths, this was not deaths.  This was strictly numbers of cases. The number of deaths didn't change.  However, if someone falls off a roof and cracks their head open and dies from those injuries, it shoiuld not be counted as a Covid-19 death just because they happened to have a positive test.  

@Icegoddess 

Please provide information as to where someone fell off a roof, cracked their head open, dies, and is reported as a COVID 19 death.  This has gone beyond the ridiculous.

An actual death certificate states an immediate cause of death, and then as a result of/ or secondary to.

Thus the death certificate of someone living with heart arythmia and managing it well, who contracts COVID19, goes into heart failure, and subsequently dies, would read -

cause of death - heart failure

secondary to - COVID19

Okay...didn't fall off a roof but died of alcohol poisoning (I think it's mentioned earlier in this thread).  Had COVID. Is that a COVID death?

Happened in Colorado if you want to look it up. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

What ever happened to newscasters, newspapers and TV stations only reporting substantiated facts without promoting their own agendas?  Just want the facts and I'll make my own decisions. 

@mspatmac 

In OP the numbers are real.  They were reported at the time the results were received from the "sanctioned" lab.  Unless the News reporter goes through every state and says, now in XX state these tests were actually taken on a, b, c, d, ...  for every state, how are they supposed to say it. 

I'm following my state on the state website, and they do make such notations.  But, I don't expect a National News reporter to have the time to do that.

I don't see reporting test results as 'promoting a personal agenda.'

I haven't read all the replies so maybe this was mentioned. If a national news reporter feels a need to talk about a specific states numbers and he wants to be clear about what's going on then it's his job to find the time to do that. You don't just say x numbers of new cases, at the very least you say x number of cases were added that were from 6 weeks ago. 

In this case it's more likely that a producer saw these numbers, thought there was a spike and decided to run with it. If it bleeds or in this case covids it leads. 

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom  True.  Most of today's pretty boys just read what they're given. They have no input. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Or to get more tax dollars for your state $$$$$$$

Kaboom.

Why do you think some governors made it law that nursing homes must accept discharged Covid patients? Just because a relatively healthy person resides in a nursing home does not make them less valuable and only useful as a death statistic. The death rate upticks mean more payola for the state. Chilling, I know. I despise every governor that did this. The purpose of setting up field hospitals was for the long term recovery of non acute, recovering Covid patients, and NOT to discharge a patient to a nursing home full of vulnerable folks. Meanwhile, the three field hospitals set up nearby me with 3,500 beds (paid for with tax dollars) sat empty.

dee

As I understood it the state you are probably referring to followed the fed's CDC guidelines in March that "a nursing home cannot discriminate against a Covid positive person" and must accept them back into their facility. However, they were not to take in a Covid positive patient if they couldn’t maintain a safe environment for the patient and other residents.  If they were unable to maintain proper protocol and meet safety guidelines for all concerned they were to contact the Dept. of Health and the patient would have been transferred elsewhere. I hear a lot of people yelling Why weren't these patients sent to the field hospitals? The field hospitals were set up after it became apparent that the nursing homes weren't able to control and contain the virus within their facility(ies).  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

I think the number of cases may be (grossly) underreported.  This pandemic started much earlier than the first case officially reported.  There are the months of December-February.  Then there are the people who died at home from Covid before being identified as such.  I believe there is a significant number of such individuals. .

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Kaboom.

Why do you think some governors made it law that nursing homes must accept discharged Covid patients? Just because a relatively healthy person resides in a nursing home does not make them less valuable and only useful as a death statistic. The death rate upticks mean more payola for the state. Chilling, I know. I despise every governor that did this. The purpose of setting up field hospitals was for the long term recovery of non acute, recovering Covid patients, and NOT to discharge a patient to a nursing home full of vulnerable folks. Meanwhile, the three field hospitals set up nearby me with 3,500 beds (paid for with tax dollars) sat empty.

dee

As I understood it the state you are probably referring to followed the fed's CDC guidelines in March that "a nursing home cannot discriminate against a Covid positive person" and must accept them back into their facility. However, they were not to take in a Covid positive patient if they couldn’t maintain a safe environment for the patient and other residents.  If they were unable to maintain proper protocol and meet safety guidelines for all concerned they were to contact the Dept. of Health and the patient would have been transferred elsewhere. I hear a lot of people yelling Why weren't these patients sent to the field hospitals? The field hospitals were set up after it became apparent that the nursing homes weren't able to control and contain the virus within their facility(ies).  

@Deree 

Absolutely.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Kaboom.

dee

Nursing homes were denied help when they asked for it. The weren't even allowed to ask if someone was positive. They weren't allowed to test anyone before they came into the nursing home. The state didn't help them get PPE  The above response sounds like it came right out of the Governor's office.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Kaboom.

dee

Nursing homes were denied help when they asked for it. The weren't even allowed to ask if someone was positive. They weren't allowed to test anyone before they came into the nursing home. The state didn't help them get PPE  The above response sounds like it came right out of the Governor's office.  

I don't know if what you're saying is so.  Some people hear things then run with it.  Before you know it many others join in and it becomes a Truth and a bashfest of a particular state or governor.  That's what I hate most about the way information is being disseminated in this pandemic and how people will believe what they want to believe based upon reading something or hearing something.  Their biases will tend to determine what they choose to believe.  Just speaking in general here.  But I posted what I believe is the Truth.  YMMV.