Honored Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

@esmerelda wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

..And every other media source such as CNN, New York Times, Washington Post etc... are known for their liberal editorial policy and sensationalist headlines. They are left-biased if that helps to explain things. 

@MorningLover 

Media sources such as FOX, known for “conservative editorial policy, sensationalist headlines, and right bias.  Helps to explain things.”

Again, an unsourced quote. Maybe you want to use italics for emphasis...or sarcasm. 

~

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

~

@esmerelda wrote:

Facilities were closed early on to visitors/family. They weren't bringing anything in.

And while I have your attention, you deleted your response to my earlier question before I saw it.  Why?

Again...I missed it. I don't live here but I do visit often. Why not leave your response(s) a bit longer...a few hours...so I can see them...since they are in response to my posts?

~

Not even 2 hours?

Not important I guess. 

I quit. 

~

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Sadly. there are many ways to manipulate "news."  In addition to outright lies - that may or may not ever see corrections, there are:  quoting people who are lying without questioning them or digging into the story itself by the reporter, highlighting part of the story which fits the narrative and ommitting parts that contradict it, using a misleading headline which is actually finally contradicted in the last paragraph of the story, not covering the story at all when it doesn't fit the narrative, mocking people who are exposing a story contrary to the narrative without citing any facts to show how they are wrong, using part of a quote out of context that completely contradicts the actual full quote in order to further the narrative, repeating a story that has already been shown to be untrue by actual facts -  again in order to further the narrative - the idea here is that the more a story is repeated, the more likely people will believe it even if there are clear facts that contradict it reported by others.  I could go on, but you get the point.

Great post @Isobel Archer 

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

..And every other media source such as CNN, New York Times, Washington Post etc... are known for their liberal editorial policy and sensationalist headlines. They are left-biased if that helps to explain things. 

@MorningLover 

Media sources such as FOX, known for “conservative editorial policy, sensationalist headlines, and right bias.  Helps to explain things.”

Again, an unsourced quote. Maybe you want to use italics for emphasis...or sarcasm. 

~

@Drythe  ~ ~

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

Both sides are so heavily biased. It makes it very difficult to get any real truths from any of the reporting. 

I am a very proud, independent voter. I have my own opinions and beliefs, and do not vote on a party line. There are times I feel like the lone ranger, but I know there are other rangers out there. 

Thank you @Isobel Archer for your post breaking down what is wrong with journalism. Well said. 

And thank you @Deree . I did read all of your responses. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Deree  Timeline.  Nursing homes were closed to visitors/family in the beginning to keep the disease out. Brought in by staff?  So staff stays away while ill. And the nursing home brings in covid patients?  In what world does that make sense?

Also, doesn't governor have power over health department?

It's common sense and decency. Do what you can to protect everyone.  Where there's a will, there's a way. 

Who thinks anyone in charge would return their own loved one to a nursing home in the same way?

@esmerelda    Yes I absolutely believe the virus was brought in by staff.  I spent 3 weeks in a rehab/nursing home facility a few years ago when I fractured my femur.  I cannot begin to tell you the blatant disregard for good hygiene practices that I observed all day long and this was supposed to be a top notch facility in my city too.

As to what I bolded and underlined. Again it was the Fed's CDC guidelines that required nursing homes take Covid+ patients back in.  And Again the nursing home did not HAVE to take back their Covid+ residents if they could not properly isolate and care for them.  The guidelines said they were to contact the Department of Health and the patient would be transferred elsewhere in that event.

No one knew the tragedy that would occur.  No one knew that nursing homes had taken their patients back but obviously did NOT take proper precautions. It was after that tragedy occurred that it became necessary to identify and create additional places to put these patients such as field hospitals, large conference centers, hotels.  

I don't know if I've answered your question to your liking or not. You are free to think whatever you wish about the situation. Bottom line is I don't think any of us sitting at home knows everything and every step that transpired in this tragedy but I feel pretty confident that all was done that could have been done under extremely difficult circumstances BEFORE and without knowing that a tragedy would occur.

Monday morning quarterbacking is always easy.

Not sure how it's Monday morning quarterbacking to have realized almost immediately - i.e., Washington State's nursing home crisis - that whatever "ability" the nursing homes may have thought they had to control exposure and infection - it wasn't working.

I thought the CDC was using "expert science" - doesn't science constantly monitor for flawed predictions?

Obvously the Health Director in PA knew it was a problem.  She removed her 95 year old mother before insisting the nursing home take COVID patients.

Additionally, the nursing homes in NY DID push back and said they could NOT safely take COVID patients. Yet the State ordered them to take them anyway.   What about that?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Deree  Timeline.  Nursing homes were closed to visitors/family in the beginning to keep the disease out. Brought in by staff?  So staff stays away while ill. And the nursing home brings in covid patients?  In what world does that make sense?

It's common sense and decency. Do what you can to protect everyone.  Where there's a will, there's a way. 

Who thinks anyone in charge would return their own loved one to a nursing home in the same way?

@esmerelda    Yes I absolutely believe the virus was brought in by staff.  I spent 3 weeks in a rehab/nursing home facility a few years ago when I fractured my femur.  I cannot begin to tell you the blatant disregard for good hygiene practices that I observed all day long and this was supposed to be a top notch facility in my city too.

As to what I bolded and underlined. Again it was the Fed's CDC guidelines that required nursing homes take Covid+ patients back in.  And Again the nursing home did not HAVE to take back their Covid+ residents if they could not properly isolate and care for them.  The guidelines said they were to contact the Department of Health and the patient would be transferred elsewhere in that event.

No one knew the tragedy that would occur.  No one knew that nursing homes had taken their patients back but obviously did NOT take proper precautions. It was after that tragedy occurred that it became necessary to identify and create additional places to put these patients such as field hospitals, large conference centers, hotels.  

I don't know if I've answered your question to your liking or not. You are free to think whatever you wish about the situation. Bottom line is I don't think any of us sitting at home knows everything and every step that transpired in this tragedy but I feel pretty confident that all was done that could have been done under extremely difficult circumstances BEFORE and without knowing that a tragedy would occur.

Not sure how it's Monday morning quarterbacking to have realized almost immediately - i.e., Washington State's nursing home crisis - that whatever "ability" the nursing homes may have thought they had to control exposure and infection - it wasn't working.

I thought the CDC was using "expert science" - doesn't science constantly monitor for flawed predictions?

Obvously the Health Director in PA knew it was a problem.  She removed her 95 year old mother before insisting the nursing home take COVID patients.

Additionally, the nursing homes in NY DID push back and said they could NOT safely take COVID patients. Yet the State ordered them to take them anyway.   What about that?

@Isobel Archer 

Actually the State Health Department or the Governor of the state made the call, not the CDC.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Isobel Archer 

Actually the State Health Department or the Governor of the state made the call, not the CDC.

You are probably right - since clearly not all states did this, but at least one governor decided to blame the CDC.   So either he was wrong or the other governors ignored the CDC requirements.

And aren't State Health Officials also supposed to be using "science?"  Oh wait - the PA official did - at least as far as her own mother was concerned.  She took her out before she insisted that nursing home take COVID patients.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Icegoddess  I heard that a few months ago and I thought that it was not fair. Is it because they can´t pinpoint what did it or because it´s easier to say that?

The same with Aids. Oh the person had Aids but he/she died from Pneumonia.

@Sage04 

IMO, it has nothing to do with "fairness".  

Example:   If a person has cancer and is undergoing chemo, etc, and then gets the corona virus, and soon after that dies, the CV was the catalyst for the death.    If they hadn't contracted it, in most instances, they'd still be alive and dealing with the cancer & treatments.

Mask   Mask   Mask
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

@Icegoddess 

Samples to be tested for COVID19 must be sent to "sanctioned" labs.  These "sanctioned" labs currently take  4 - 6 WEEKS  to complete testing and return results. 

When do you think these results should be reported & added to 

your state numbers?

Nothing "left out" but here, seems it does not included details you would like.  Maybe you could notify the news channel.

No testing = No +positive results

More testing = More +positive results

@Drythe 

Well stated and on point.   People just don't seem to understand how the statistics & information are arrived at.  

Mask   Mask   Mask