Super Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

@Drythe wrote:

@FS74 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

@Icegoddess 

Samples to be tested for COVID19 must be sent to "sanctioned" labs.  These "sanctioned" labs currently take  4 - 6 WEEKS  to complete testing and return results. 

That may have been the case when the testing started, but not now. I work at a large reputable urban hospital lab and we do Covid testing. It takes a little less than an hour to have results.

@FS74 

As the OP clearly states in post 76, these tests WERE from an older batch of tests.

I stand corrected, I read the post too fast. TY.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

~

@esmerelda wrote:

Facilities were closed early on to visitors/family. They weren't bringing anything in.

And while I have your attention, you deleted your response to my earlier question before I saw it.  Why?

Again...I missed it. I don't live here but I do visit often. Why not leave your response(s) a bit longer...a few hours...so I can see them...since they are in response to my posts?

~

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate to stir this pot any further.  I see all sides of this discussion.  I watch both CNN and FOX. 

I do KNOW that I heard a local TV station reporter say back in mid-April, that Illinois would be counting all upper-respiratory, pneumonia-like deaths in with the COVID-19 count.  This was attributed to lack of available tests, and the accuracy of those tests.

What I am curious about is if influenza season claimed an additional 60,000 lives, as it did in 2018, is this on top of COVID-19 deaths?

If not, then they must be part of the total number of deaths we are seeing. 

And no, I cannot find a link to document what I heard one night on our local station. 

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
I do know that as long as testing increases, so will the # of cases. The media doesn’t mention this very often.

___________________________________________________-

@lovesrecess, what public health experts look at is the test positivity rate, not just the number of positive cases.  That is what the media reports, but public health experts look at test positivity rates, hospitalization rates, ICU rates, and plot that over time.  

They also look at the Rnaught value.  

As cases plateau, so will the test positivity rate, followed by hospitalization rate, and the R naught value decreases.  

Test positivity rate is calculated by taking the total number of positive cases to date, divided by the number of total tests administered.  As viral activity slows, so will the test positivity rate.  They can increase the tests administered, but if viral activity is slowing down, the test positivity rate will decline.  

Those rates will be different for each state, but they look at those over time to make determinations.  

Good info, @pitdakota .

All I really saw in the post from @lovesrecess was "the more tests, the more positives we will find"

Just reminded me of someone who was discouraging testing so that we didn't find more cases, liking the numbers where they were..

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

..And every other media source such as CNN, New York Times, Washington Post etc... are known for their liberal editorial policy and sensationalist headlines. They are left-biased if that helps to explain things. 

@MorningLover 

Media sources such as FOX, known for “conservative editorial policy, sensationalist headlines, and right bias.  Helps to explain things.”

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2DogsOther than the weather report our entire local news is about Covid. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

~

@esmerelda wrote:

Facilities were closed early on to visitors/family. They weren't bringing anything in.

And while I have your attention, you deleted your response to my earlier question before I saw it.  Why?

Again...I missed it. I don't live here but I do visit often. Why not leave your response(s) a bit longer...a few hours...so I can see them...since they are in response to my posts?

~

Not even 2 hours?

Not important I guess. 

I quit. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

..And every other media source such as CNN, New York Times, Washington Post etc... are known for their liberal editorial policy and sensationalist headlines. They are left-biased if that helps to explain things. 

@MorningLover 

Media sources such as FOX, known for “conservative editorial policy, sensationalist headlines, and right bias.  Helps to explain things.”

Again, an unsourced quote. Maybe you want to use italics for emphasis...or sarcasm. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Positivity rates are one of the main targets for the phased openings in CA. It’s why county and city leaders are encouraging more testing. In my area, tests are now pretty easy to obtain, no symptoms required, including some walk-in locations, no appointment required. The lower the positivity rate, the better. Some employers are requiring a test before returning to work. Before someone yells about requiring a test, consider that food workers need a TB test for employment.
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am not the least bit surprised...most news agencies just like to stoke the fear.

Keeps us watchingSmiley Sad