Respected Contributor

Re: What the news leaves out.

Yes we sure could use "Uncle Wally" and his quiet dignity and professionalism right now. So missed.

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe thank you so much for the clear, specfic and accurate info.

Thank you for working on the front lines. Bless you,

stay safe. You are a true hero.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess I've believe I"ve found out what incident you are talking about. There was a data dump initialted by a certain governor in order to muddy the waters and justify his reopening position. Things that make you go hmmmmm..........

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

@Icegoddess 

Samples to be tested for COVID19 must be sent to "sanctioned" labs.  These "sanctioned" labs currently take  4 - 6 WEEKS  to complete testing and return results. 

That may have been the case when the testing started, but not now. I work at a large reputable urban hospital lab and we do Covid testing. It takes a little less than an hour to have results.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that numbers of diagnoses and numbers of Covid-cause-of-death cases are not precisely accurate. Does that mean we should argue about numbers of deaths? These were real people with real families and friends. We must not lose sight of what is happening in this country, which has an unbearable number of victims. Politics has no place in this pandemic. I plead with our representatives and our fellow Americans to turn to doctors and scientists and tune out the politicians who care only about re-election.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Icegoddess I've believe I"ve found out what incident you are talking about. There was a data dump initialted by a certain governor in order to muddy the waters and justify his reopening position. Things that make you go hmmmmm..........

@reiki604 , no that would not be the incident.  We have a female governor and she is going ahead wth the next phase of reopening beginning tonight.  I think they just got those early test results in which were taken before the newer, faster tests.  The local station made a point of clarifying these "new" cases included old tests, but the National news did not but somehow wanted to single out my state for having a large increase in cases.

And to all those people talking about politics and deaths, this was not deaths.  This was strictly numbers of cases. The number of deaths didn't change.  However, if someone falls off a roof and cracks their head open and dies from those injuries, it shoiuld not be counted as a Covid-19 death just because they happened to have a positive test.  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer said:

Sadly. there are many ways to manipulate "news." In addition to outright lies - that may or may not ever see corrections, there are: quoting people who are lying without questioning them or digging into the story itself by the reporter, highlighting part of the story which fits the narrative and ommitting parts that contradict it, using a misleading headline which is actually finally contradicted in the last paragraph of the story, not covering the story at all when it doesn't fit the narrative, mocking people who are exposing a story contrary to the narrative without citing any facts to show how they are wrong, using part of a quote out of context that completely contradicts the actual full quote in order to further the narrative, repeating a story that has already been shown to be untrue by actual facts - again in order to further the narrative - the idea here is that the more a story is repeated, the more likely people will believe it even if there are clear facts that contradict it reported by others. I could go on, but you get the point.

@Isobel Archer,  in one short paragraph, you've given a journalism course's worth of the many ways that news can be "massaged",  manipulated and falsified.  Excellent information, and essential for the consumer.

Honored Contributor

@FS74 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Was watching ABC News with David Muir this evening.  He talked about how my state had this huge one-day jump in cases.  But, what he didn't say was that number included test results from as far back as 6 weeks ago.  So, it's not like we actually had a huge one-day jump.  The local news did make a point of saying that this morning so at least some of us know the truth and aren't freaking out about it.

Also, one of our health experts they were interviewing yesterday confirmed that anybody who dies who has a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the primary reason for their death is counted as a Covid-19 death per CDC guidelines.  

@Icegoddess 

Samples to be tested for COVID19 must be sent to "sanctioned" labs.  These "sanctioned" labs currently take  4 - 6 WEEKS  to complete testing and return results. 

That may have been the case when the testing started, but not now. I work at a large reputable urban hospital lab and we do Covid testing. It takes a little less than an hour to have results.

@FS74 

As the OP clearly states in post 76, these tests WERE from an older batch of tests.

I’m moving On, this post has wandered away from the OP into a critique of journalists.

I believe in facts.  #95,000 Americans dead, sad.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

I don't know what state you live in, but it was reported repeatedly that several states are not reporting correctly. They are using the antibody testing with the Covid19 testing. It is known that Florida and other states are under reporting so that the states can open up.

we are going to have a very difficult summer. Increased cases are being reported because ofopening the states. This will be with us until a vaccine is available and we are all vaccinated. That could take another 18 months.

and, no, the news are not fear mongering, they are reporting the facts. The facts are misrepresented by our leaders.

wear masks, stay 6 feet away and maybe you will be okay.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

That is not how I do it now, but what about the previous two months of data when the governments guidelines were to use scenerio #1, like you said, @Icegoddess ? There are no do-overs. I think the numbers, especially the initial numbers, are overstated.

dee

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Icegoddess    The virus manifests itself in many different ways.  This Broadway actor who has been so ill with it had to have a leg amputated due to effects of the virus.  If someone dies of pneumonia acquired due to the virus, that should be counted as a virus death.  The fact is, they wouldn't have had these conditions if they didn't test positive for the virus and have the symptoms associated with it.

@Kachina624  @bikerbabe the example given to the health expert was if someone had a car crash and died from those injuries but had tested positive for Covid 19 would they be counted as a Covid19 death and the answer was yes.  In fact, there was a case in PA where the coroner confirmed that a man fell from a roof and cracked his head open, but because he had tested positive for Covid 19, he was labeled a Covid-19 death.  It was not a question about someone who had a full blown case of Covid-19 dying from complications associated with it which is what you are referring to.

@deedledeedeedle 

And what about those who died Before we acknowledged COVID19?  

In Washington State in December, January, and in my state in February there are cases that are NOT included in the TOTAL. 

That number is being conveniently ignored, thus undercounting the numbers.

~ nothing follows

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras